1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hollow Cavity within a charged sphere

1. Feb 1, 2007 #1
    Suppose I had a uniformly charged sphere of some density, inside this sphere at some position there is a cavity of some radius. If I wanted to then find the Electric field somewhere, like say the surface of the sphere, how would I approach the problem?

Heres what I did. I pretended the cavity didn't exist and using Gauss' Law found the electric field at the surface of the sphere to be p*R/3*e, where p is charge density, R is the radius of the sphere and e is the electrical permittivity. Then I found the electric field for the cavity which has a radius of R/2 and is located in such a way that the distance from its center to the surface of the charged sphere is 3/2*R. and that was 4.5*(p)*R/e. Thats where I am stuck. As I was doing this I thought I could treat this like those moment of inertia problems where you have a piece of a wheel or something missing and you just treat that piece as negative mass. But then when I went to do this, I realized all I would be doing if I subtracted the field off off the cavity would be adding a negative field.

Also, if it is just a cavity is there even a field inside it?
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted