Air conditioner not cooling below 85-88 degrees on 107 degree day

  • Thread starter Thread starter Pengwuino
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Ac Hot
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
22 replies · 3K views
Pengwuino
Gold Member
Messages
5,112
Reaction score
20
Is it normal for air conditioners to completely suck when you need them to not suck? It's 107 today and its been around 85-88 degrees up here where the air conditioner is. Do air conditioners just fail to work after it reaches a certain freaken temperature or something? Our filter is newly installed and its just god-awefully hot up here. What's going on? Should we call a air-conditioner repair face guy? Why is cyrus looking at this thread? :cry: :cry: :cry:
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Math Is Hard said:
I don't have an air conditioner. :cry:

Penguins need cooler air more then you humans
 
Yea you should call someone, it should be cooler then that.
 
Lately, it seems like the only thing I have that doesn't suck is the vacuum. :rolleyes:
 
107?! You're whining about 107 when I had to go run the track field today in 110 degrees with lots of humidity...you suck pengwuino
 
Pengwuino said:
Is it normal for air conditioners to completely suck when you need them to not suck? It's 107 today and its been around 85-88 degrees up here where the air conditioner is. Do air conditioners just fail to work after it reaches a certain freaken temperature or something? Our filter is newly installed and its just god-awefully hot up here. What's going on? Should we call a air-conditioner repair face guy? Why is cyrus looking at this thread? :cry: :cry: :cry:

Do the calculations penguin, what wattage is your air con rated at?
now work out the area it has to chill and the temp difference you want.
:rolleyes: elementary.
 
wolram said:
Do the calculations penguin, what wattage is your air con rated at?
now work out the area it has to chill and the temp difference you want.
:rolleyes: elementary.

Of course! I am a physicimizer!

Ok first... wattage of our air conditioner... unknown.
Cubic meters of air needed to be cooled...unknown.
Temperature i want the air to be cooled...unkonwn.

So!

xy^z=4. Solve for x.
 
NoTime said:
Lately, it seems like the only thing I have that doesn't suck is the vacuum. :rolleyes:

Then its time for a new Vaccum too!
 
It's supposed to hit 40 degrees on saturday...naturally I have to work that weekend. I work in a shop with no air conditioning and where we use steam cleaners a lot...it will be hell. We all nearly die when its 30 degrees out, I don't know how I will survive 40. I always get heat stroke at least 2x a year and i'll bet this weekend will be the first case.
 
scorpa said:
It's supposed to hit 40 degrees on saturday...naturally I have to work that weekend. I work in a shop with no air conditioning and where we use steam cleaners a lot...it will be hell. We all nearly die when its 30 degrees out, I don't know how I will survive 40. I always get heat stroke at least 2x a year and i'll bet this weekend will be the first case.

Suck it up and get an air conditioner.
 
When the air conditioner goes bonkers in our department, we cool our lab with liquid nitrogen!
 
:bugeye:
This time it's you who's brought yomamma to your own thread!
BTW, here's getting cooler these days!:-p
 
How long would it take to cook a penquin medium at 40c?
 
You need to knw the BTU's. Also, if it's central air, you need to make sure the vents are open in the rooms where you want it cool and close the vents in rooms you are not using. Also, the air ducts can be at such sharp angles that air flow is cut off significantly.

Most homes now days have at least two central air conditioning units, one for the upstairs and one for the downstairs. A single unit simply cannot handle high heat and humidity.
 
Pengwuino said:
Suck it up and get an air conditioner.


But I'm to poor :cry: And I would much rather complain about the situation than do something about it :-p
 
It's really meant for the upstairs... and the AC normally did its just up until this year and last year. I'll try to turn the vents off in the other rooms tomorrow.
 
Pengwuino said:
It's really meant for the upstairs... and the AC normally did its just up until this year and last year. I'll try to turn the vents off in the other rooms tomorrow.

What a trooper, a sure candidate for the boy scouts, i suggest some warm up exersizes before you tackle those vents, they can be tougth, 50 reps with a 10 gram weight each flipper to start
 
Gokul43201 said:
When the air conditioner goes bonkers in our department, we cool our lab with liquid nitrogen!
I used to decide that was a good time to do the experiments that required spending a day working in the walk-in refrigerator. I don't have any of those now, I have experiments that require holding onto a lot of very warm sheep. :cry: At least I'm not the one that has to wear the wool coat. :frown:
 
cyrusabdollahi said:
That's to baaaaad. :smile:

Damn, that lame...:rolleyes:

Very lame. You should be banned.
 
scorpa said:
We all nearly die when its 30 degrees out
Jeez... it's 27 today and I'm wearing a sweater at work. I probably wouldn't need it outside in the sun, but I wouldn't bet on it.