Homemade cylinder/actuator push-button pin/tooth/spring mechanic lock

In summary: I have an idea for a mechanism that would work, but it would be a lot more complicated and expensive than just using buttons. I'll post it if I ever get around to it.In summary, David Dixi is trying to design and build a homemade cylinder-type puzzle lock. He is willing to accept any comments, both negative and positive. The lock is a cylindrical shaft, with a bolt-type actuator mechanism in the center. When the cylinder rotates to the right, the center ejects. When turned to the left, it retracts back into the shaft. David's biggest problem is that he would like some type of rotating click, or stop, so the wheel doesn't spin freely.
davidbdix
i am trying to design and build a homemade cylinder-type puzzle lock. I am willing to accept any comments, both negative and positive. the lock is a cylindrical shaft, with a bolt-type actuator mechanism in the center. when the cylinder rotates to the right, the center ejects. when turned to the left, it retracts back into the shaft. what I'm trying to do is figure out how to use a puzzle of push-button mechanisms (on springs) that have to be pushed in a certain order to get the cylinder to spin one full cycle. (see photo) if push button A, B, or C are pushed, the cylinder rotates right, if pushbutton D is pushed (or a button pushed in the incorrect order), the cylinder spins the opposite way, restarting the lock (puzzle). the puzzle part is I am planning on creating a crypto-type alphabet. you have to figure out the symbols, and what letters represent those symbols. there will be a given key, where you figure out what order the symbols have to be pressed (represented on the push buttons). by pushing the symbols, in the correct order, the spaced blocks, or pins on the buttons push the pins on the cylinder, rotating it one full cycle. after the cycle, a spring loaded door or drawer will open. to relock the cylinder, the buttons should be pressed in retrograde (opposite order from backwords to forwards). what my biggest problem is, i would like some type of rotating click, or stop, so the wheel doesn't spin freely. each time a button is pushed, the cylinder rotates one "click", or space. please, give me suggestions on any mechanism that might closely relate to my idea. or, if you have any other suggestions or ideas related to this, feel free to post. very much appreciated! thanks for your time.
David Dix

Attachments

• cylinderlock1.jpg
    cylinderlock1.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 2,654
Engineering news on Phys.org
i do have to include that this is just an early stage drawing. it is nothing more than an idea. the 4 'blocks' on the cylinder are nothing more than an example/idea. there would be many many more than 4. and they don't have to be blocks either. they could be triangular holes with teeth that fit into them. this early on, I am accepting any suggestions.

I can't think of any way to do it that doesn't include a lot of intermediate components. My locksmith training included repairing Ilco/Unican push-button locks. They're elegant and compact, but contain about 1,000 parts. :eek:

1. What is a homemade cylinder/actuator push-button pin/tooth/spring mechanic lock?

A homemade cylinder/actuator push-button pin/tooth/spring mechanic lock is a type of lock that is constructed using simple materials and mechanisms such as a cylinder, actuator, push-button pin, tooth, and spring. It is designed to secure a door or other object from being opened without the correct combination.

2. How does a homemade cylinder/actuator push-button pin/tooth/spring mechanic lock work?

The lock works by using a combination of the cylinder, actuator, push-button pin, tooth, and spring. When the correct combination is entered, the cylinder will rotate, allowing the actuator to move and the push-button pin to release. This will then allow the lock to be opened.

3. Are homemade cylinder/actuator push-button pin/tooth/spring mechanic locks secure?

The level of security for a homemade cylinder/actuator push-button pin/tooth/spring mechanic lock depends on the quality of materials and construction. While these locks may provide some level of security, they are not as secure as professionally made locks.

4. What are the advantages of using a homemade cylinder/actuator push-button pin/tooth/spring mechanic lock?

The main advantage of using a homemade cylinder/actuator push-button pin/tooth/spring mechanic lock is the cost. These locks can be made using inexpensive materials, making them a more affordable option compared to professionally made locks. Additionally, they can be customized to fit specific needs and preferences.

5. Are there any drawbacks to using a homemade cylinder/actuator push-button pin/tooth/spring mechanic lock?

Some potential drawbacks of using a homemade cylinder/actuator push-button pin/tooth/spring mechanic lock include the possibility of the lock being less secure than professionally made locks and the need for regular maintenance and repairs. Additionally, these locks may not be as durable as professionally made locks and may not withstand heavy use over time.