Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homomorphism between commutative rings

1. Oct 23, 2008 #1
    When I read a ring homomophism of wiki, I found a sentence in the properties section.

Let f:R->S be a ring homomorphism (Assuming R and S have a mulitplicative identity).
    "If R and S are commutative, S is a field, and f is surgective, then ker(f) is a maximal ideal of R".

I was trying to prove the above sentence, but I could not finish proving it.

My proof so far is

Step 1: showing ker(f) is a subring of R.
    f(0) = 0, f(1) = 1.
    Let r belongs to ker(f), called I, which is a subset of R.
    Then f(r)=0. f(r + (-r))=0. Thus r has an additive inverse.
    f(x+(y+z))=f(x)+f(y+z)=f(x)+f(y)+f(z)=f(x+y)+f(z)=f((x+y)+z)=0 for x,y,z in I, which shows the associative of addition.
    f(a(bc)) = f(a)f(bc)=f(a)f(b)f(c)=f(ab)f(c)=f((ab)c)=0, for a,b,c in I.
    f(a(b+c)) = f(a)f(b+c)=f(a)(f(b)+f(c))=f(ab)+f(ac)=f(ab+ac)=0

Step 2:showing I(=ker(f)) is an ideal of R.
    Let x belongs to R and r belongs to I.
    We claim that xr belongs to I. Suppose on the contrary that xr does not belong to I.
    Then f(xr)=f(x)f(r) [tex]\neq[/tex]0, which means both f(x) and f(r) should not be zero, contradicting that r belongs to ker(f). Thus xr belongs to I.

Step 3:Using f is surgective to S which is a field, show that ker(f) is a maximal ideal of R.

Please correct me if something is wrong in step 1&2, and give me some hints for step 3.
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 24, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

By the first isomorphism theorem R/kerf is a field. So there won't be a proper ideal in R larger than kerf, because field don't have proper ideals.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?