A question about surjective module-homomorphisms

• MHB
  • Thread starter steenis
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Surjective
In summary, the author is looking for a proof or a counterexample to the statement "If $f$ is surjective we can combine these two, and we have$$f(f^{-1}(X)+ f^{-1}(Y))=f f^{-1}(X)+f f^{-1}(Y)=X+Y$$" and is looking for a reference.
steenis
I have the following question about surjective module-homomorphisms.

Let $f:A \longrightarrow B$ be a surjective $R$-homomorphism between $R$-modules $A$ and $B$.
Let $S, T$ be submodules of $A$ and let $X, Y$ be submodules of $B$.

I can prove that in general
$$f(S+T)=f(S)+f(T)$$
and in general
$$f^{-1}(X)+ f^{-1}(Y) \subseteq f^{-1}(X+Y)$$
If $f$ is surjective we can combine these two, and we have
$$f(f^{-1}(X)+ f^{-1}(Y))=f f^{-1}(X)+f f^{-1}(Y)=X+Y$$
But I need this:
$$f^{-1}(X)+ f^{-1}(Y)=f^{-1}(X+Y)$$
given that $f$ is surjective.

I cannot find the proof and I do not know if it is true, can somebody help me to prove this or give a counterexample or give a reference?

Physics news on Phys.org
steenis said:
I have the following question about surjective module-homomorphisms.

Let $f:A \longrightarrow B$ be a surjective $R$-homomorphism between $R$-modules $A$ and $B$.
Let $S, T$ be submodules of $A$ and let $X, Y$ be submodules of $B$.

I can prove that in general
$$f(S+T)=f(S)+f(T)$$
and in general
$$f^{-1}(X)+ f^{-1}(Y) \subseteq f^{-1}(X+Y)$$
If $f$ is surjective we can combine these two, and we have
$$f(f^{-1}(X)+ f^{-1}(Y))=f f^{-1}(X)+f f^{-1}(Y)=X+Y$$
But I need this:
$$f^{-1}(X)+ f^{-1}(Y)=f^{-1}(X+Y)$$
given that $f$ is surjective.

I cannot find the proof and I do not know if it is true, can somebody help me to prove this or give a counterexample or give a reference?
If $a\in f^{-1}(X+Y)$ then $f(a) = x+y$, for some $x$ in $X$ and $y$ in $Y$. If $f$ is surjective then $x = f(b)$ and $y = f(c)$, for some $b,c\in A$. If $d = a-b-c$ then $f(d) = f(a) - f(b) - f(c) = 0.$ It follows that $b+d \in f^{-1}(X)$, and then $a = (b+d) + c \in f^{-1}(X)+ f^{-1}(Y)$.

That shows that $ f^{-1}(X+Y) \subseteq f^{-1}(X)+ f^{-1}(Y)$. You have already shown the reverse inequality, so it follows that $ f^{-1}(X+Y) = f^{-1}(X)+ f^{-1}(Y)$.

Thank you very much, This is a great help !

Doe anyone know references (books or online) in which this kind of "fomulae" of modules (or groups or rings, ...) are listed and maybe proved ?

1. What is a surjective module-homomorphism?

A surjective module-homomorphism is a map between two modules that preserves the module structure and is onto, meaning that every element in the target module has at least one preimage in the source module.

2. How is a surjective module-homomorphism different from an injective module-homomorphism?

A surjective module-homomorphism is onto, while an injective module-homomorphism is one-to-one. This means that while every element in the target module has at least one preimage in the source module for a surjective map, an injective map has at most one preimage for every element in the target module.

3. What is the importance of surjective module-homomorphisms?

Surjective module-homomorphisms are important in abstract algebra because they allow us to understand the structure and properties of modules by studying simpler modules. They also play a crucial role in the study of algebraic structures such as rings, fields, and vector spaces.

4. Can a surjective module-homomorphism be both injective and surjective?

No, a surjective module-homomorphism cannot be both injective and surjective. This is because an injective map must have at most one preimage for every element in the target module, while a surjective map must have at least one preimage for every element in the target module. These two conditions cannot be satisfied simultaneously.

5. How do you prove that a module-homomorphism is surjective?

To prove that a module-homomorphism is surjective, you must show that every element in the target module has at least one preimage in the source module. This can be done by either explicitly finding the preimage for each element or by showing that the map preserves the module structure and is onto.