Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homomorphisms into an Algebraically Closed Field

1. Nov 27, 2009 #1
    Okay, so I'm trying to finish of a problem on integral closure and I am rather unsure if the following fact is true:

If L embeds into an algebraically closed field K and F is an algebraic extension of L, then it is possible to extend the embedding of L to F into K.

Now the case where F is a finite extension of L is true, but not quite so sure about the infinite case.

Thoughts would be appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 27, 2009 #2

morphism

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The infinite case follows from the finite one by an application of Zorn's lemma.

4. Nov 27, 2009 #3
    and how exactly does one do that?

5. Nov 28, 2009 #4

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If you're not a Zorn's Lemma type, then maybe you're a transfinite induction type? Adjoin elements of F to L one at a time, and construct F --> K one bit at a time. Mutter something about well-orderings so that this makes sense.

6. Nov 28, 2009 #5
    Well, I'm very much a Zorn's Lemma type, if you will. I just wasn't exactly sure how to go about using it.

7. Nov 28, 2009 #6

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, you want to prove the existence of a map from an algebraic extension of L to K, and you already know particular instances. So most naïvely, it seems you'd want the objects of your poset to be such maps.

Then, you'd need an ordering relation to say when one object L-->E-->K is "bigger" than another object L-->F-->K.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook