Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quotient field of the integral closure of a ring

1. Dec 11, 2014 #1
    This is probably a stupid question.
    Let R be a domain, K its field of fractions, L a finite (say) extension of K, and S the integral closure of R in L.
    Is the quotient field of S equal to L ?
    I believe that not, but I have no counter-example.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 11, 2014 #2

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

the answer is yes. let a be any element of L. we want to express a as a quotient of elements of S. since L is finite over K, it is also algebraic over K, so there is a polynomial satisfied by a, with coefficients in K, and multiplying out the denominators, which lie in R, we get coefficients in R. Suppose c is the lead coefficient, and the polynomial has degree n. i.e. we have c a^n +.......=0. multiplying through by c^(n-1) then gives an equation satisfied by (ca), of degree n, and with coefficients in R, and lead coefficient = 1, hence ca is integral over R, i.e. ca belongs to S. Thus a = (ca)/c is a quotient of elements of S, one of which is actually in R.

This is proposition 1, in Lang's chapter on integral ring extension, and is thus essentially the first fact about them.

4. Dec 13, 2014 #3
    Thx. This was not a stupid question, I am stupid.

5. Dec 16, 2014 #4

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

well, rather this is a vote for lang's book, in putting basic things at the beginning. the fact that you asked this shows you identified correctly a basic question. that is an intelligent trait.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook