Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homopolar motor teaches Lorenz Force.

1. Jan 5, 2009 #1
    I have made a new version of Faraday's homopolar motor. This was the first device to demonstrate the connection between electricity, magnetism and motion. Faraday's motor included a beaker of mercury as the outer conductor. This has been demonstrated in classes. My motor comprises gold-plated copper conductors and strong ceramic ring magnet. Below is a link to a video of this movie in youtube. There are lots of other homopolar motor videos on youtube but most use a small neodymium magnetic and you cant easily see why how works.

In the motor I made, there is a fixed, gold-plated post at the center and a fixed gold plated copper ring concentric with the post. A ring magnetic inside the copper ring has a field which is mostly vertical at the height of the top of the copper ring. A gold-plated wire rests on the inner post and the outer ring, which are connected to 6 volt battery terminals. A current flows through the wire. Since there is a vertical magnetic field, there is a Lorenz force in the azimuthal direction, which moves the wire in a circle.
    It shows that if there is a current carrying conductor perpendicular to a magnetic field, there will be force on the conductor that is perpendicular to both the current and the field.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted