Horribily Interesting Measurement Qns

In summary, the conversation revolves around the topic of extrasensory perception (ESP) and its existence. The main question is what physical quantities can be defined to describe this phenomenon quantitatively. The book referenced does not provide an answer and the person is seeking suggestions, acknowledging that there may not be one absolute answer. The conversation also mentions skepticism towards ESP and the need for strong evidence from reputable sources. A humorous comment is also made about psychokinesis.
Delzac
Hi! i have a Qns, and i got it from a reference book(physic).

Many capable investigators, on the evidence, believe in the reality of extrasensory perception. Assuming that ESP is indeed a fact of nature, what physical quantity or quantities would you seek to define to describe this phenomenon quantitatively?

+ Ans is not provided by the book+

any suggestion?? ( i dun think that there is only one absolute ans to it)

Physics news on Phys.org
What kind of kooky "Physics reference" book is this ? Show me 5 "capable", respected investigators who've produced strong evidence for ESP.

Everybody who believes in psychokinesis, raise my hand.

berkeman said:
Everybody who believes in psychokinesis, raise my hand.

In the same vein,

(One psychic greeting another) : Hi, you're well, how am I ? :biggrin:

1. What is the purpose of "Horribly Interesting Measurement Qns" in science?

The purpose of "Horribly Interesting Measurement Qns" is to challenge scientists to think critically and creatively about measurement and its role in scientific research. These types of questions often push the boundaries of traditional measurement techniques and encourage scientists to come up with new and innovative ways to measure and collect data.

2. How do scientists come up with "Horribly Interesting Measurement Qns"?

Scientists come up with "Horribly Interesting Measurement Qns" by constantly questioning and challenging the current methods of measurement. They may also draw inspiration from other fields or from everyday observations and experiences. These questions often arise when trying to measure something that is complex, abstract, or difficult to quantify.

3. Are there any specific tools or techniques used to answer "Horribly Interesting Measurement Qns"?

There is no one specific tool or technique used to answer "Horribly Interesting Measurement Qns". Scientists may use a combination of traditional measurement tools, such as rulers or scales, and more advanced techniques such as computer simulations or mathematical modeling. The key is to be open-minded and willing to think outside the box in order to find the best approach for each unique question.

4. Can "Horribly Interesting Measurement Qns" lead to new discoveries?

Yes, "Horribly Interesting Measurement Qns" can often lead to new discoveries in science. By challenging traditional methods of measurement, scientists may uncover new patterns or relationships within their data. These questions also encourage scientists to think creatively and may lead to the development of new technologies or techniques that can be applied to other areas of research.

5. How can "Horribly Interesting Measurement Qns" contribute to the advancement of science?

"Horribly Interesting Measurement Qns" can contribute to the advancement of science in several ways. They can stimulate critical thinking and creativity, leading to new discoveries and innovations. They can also help scientists refine and improve existing measurement techniques, making them more accurate and reliable. Additionally, by challenging current methods, these questions can open up new avenues of research and expand our understanding of the world around us.