Horrible grades after college, but I want to go to university

In summary: You should definitely go for it!In summary, the person has low grades in subjects other than physics, but has high marks in physics. They want to study in Germany, but may need to redo some coursework to improve their grades.
Jarfi
I have been very lazy in subjects other than physics programming. In things like french, history, languages and the likes, I have already taken the tests in those subjects and my grades are

5,6/10 on average

My maths grades are like 6 on average.. I always get the maths perfectly when I read it myself but I can't really learn well with the conventional whiteboard tactics.

In the whole my average grades are 6,5/10

I have no-one to blame for myself, I have horrible grades.

I am ok at programming and physics, get 8/10 in physics average.

I want to study abroad, I have the money for it but are there any universities that will take me in? I just messed up and I want to better myself,

I want to go into physics or electrical engineering, I am thinking maybe I can get into a sh*t tier school, take my bachelors and then really try go get back on track in there, and then continue into masters and such.

I feel so horrible about this, It was easy but I almost die out of boredom when I do anything not related to science, I want to get out of my country, and "start over". Is there a possibility I could get into any university(I'm in the EU) that accepts bad grades but understands I am willing to better myself.

I have already finished electrodynamics, maxwells equations, calculus, imaginary numbers, differ equations and such.

With this knowledge I can do most science related stuff, but those extra subjects have destroyed my already lacking grades.

I have let myself and my family down(used to pwn school back in the days)

This is a hole I dug for myself with arrogance(thought studying was for plebs). Can I rebuild?

Physics news on Phys.org
I have no idea how to relate those numbers to other grades, but with reasonable grades in physics, many German universities will give you a chance - the grades in the first year will determine if you can continue afterwards.

mfb said:
I have no idea how to relate those numbers to other grades, but with reasonable grades in physics, many German universities will give you a chance - the grades in the first year will determine if you can continue afterwards.

6,5 would be 65% it's pretty straightforward

Sure, but how hard is it to get 65%?

80% in physics in Germany is fine (corresponds to 12 out of 15 points).

mfb said:
Sure, but how hard is it to get 65%?

80% in physics in Germany is fine (corresponds to 12 out of 15 points).

It's not hard, average is probably 70% in my school

Come to California, go to junior college, it's cheaper and you'll have ample time to bring up your marks. Also there are transfer admissions guarantees for the UC school system. You might be compelled to redo some course work however.

Importantly, fix your issues of why you can't do well in seemingly easy classes.

Student100 said:
Come to California, go to junior college, it's cheaper
Oh, did I mention universities are very cheap in Germany?
~500-1500€/year, depending on the university.

mfb said:
Oh, did I mention universities are very cheap in Germany?
~500-1500€/year, depending on the university.

Wow, that is super cheap and much closer to you. I had no idea.

1. Why did you get horrible grades in college?

There could be a variety of reasons for getting bad grades in college. It could be due to personal issues, lack of motivation, difficulty with the subject matter, or poor time management skills.

2. Can you still get into university with bad grades?

While having low grades may make it more difficult to get into university, it is not impossible. Many universities have alternative admission programs for students with lower grades or consider other factors such as extracurricular activities and personal essays.

3. Will my bad grades affect my chances of getting a job after university?

Your grades in college may affect your chances of getting a job, but they are not the only factor. Employers also look at your skills, experience, and personal qualities. It is important to highlight these strengths in your job application.

4. How can I improve my grades before applying to university?

There are several ways to improve your grades, such as seeking help from professors or tutors, developing better study habits, and seeking academic counseling. It is also important to identify the root cause of your low grades and address it accordingly.

5. Will universities reject me solely based on my bad grades?

While grades are an important factor in university admissions, they are not the only consideration. Universities also look at your personal statement, letters of recommendation, and other achievements. As long as you can demonstrate your potential and determination, you still have a chance of being accepted into a university.