Horrible migraines since I twisted my neck

• Thread starter moe darklight
  • Start date
In summary, Moe has a bad habit of cracking her neck and has been getting headaches on top of that. She is also a hypochondriac and is worried about the possibility of having a stroke. Her doctor said she doesn't have the symptoms of a stroke and that the headaches are probably just from her neck being twisted.
moe darklight
Well I twisted my neck bad last week (I also have the bad habit of cracking it all the time) and I've been having bad headaches on the top right side of my head since. It also hurts when I look at lights or screens.

I'm kind of a hypochondriac so don't laugh... but my friend's dad had a stroke after he went for a massage session and they cracked his neck the wrong way (it was found to be the cause of the stroke) ... am I in any danger of that? I'm not a person who gets headaches, at all, and I've been having them on and off for a week now, even after my neck is almost painless.

I really feel for people with migraines now, it really sucks! it's very hard to think straight... it's very debilitating.

Biology news on Phys.org
There is no way anyone here can give you advise on headaches, which you suspect came from a neck injury. You should see your doctor.

I agree with hypatia, if you're uncertain, it's best to see a doctor and ask them, especially if you don't usually get headaches and are now getting them frequently or persistently.

See your doctor, always do when you have a headache for an extended period of time. I hope you feel better soon.

Thanks... I guess if it keeps going for next week I'll go to the Dr's... brrrr, I hate going to the Dr.

moe darklight said:
Thanks... I guess if it keeps going for next week I'll go to the Dr's... brrrr, I hate going to the Dr.

It has already been going for a week. What's wrong with the doctor, he's there to help you! He/she might be able to give you something to relieve the headache or to give advice on how to handle the situation.

Moe, go to the doctor, you don't know that it's just a migraine. :grumpy: Migraines aren't usually caused by what you described.

ok maybe a week is too long, so if I get it tomorrow I'll set up an appointment for sure. Today it came for only 5 minutes and it was gone so it seems to be getting better whatever it is...

Thanks for the advice everyone :)

I'm glad to hear it's getting better.

inflammation of the central canal?

their is a canal that runs through the center of the spinal cord and the cerebrospinal fluid that is produced by the blood brain barrier flows down it. if blocked partially, the lateral ventricles fill with fluid and press on the brain from the inside out. in emergencies this fluid can i think be re-routed to prevent hydroencephalitis. go to your doctor immediately.

Last edited:
moe darklight said:
Well I twisted my neck bad last week (I also have the bad habit of cracking it all the time) and I've been having bad headaches on the top right side of my head since. It also hurts when I look at lights or screens.

I'm kind of a hypochondriac so don't laugh... but my friend's dad had a stroke after he went for a massage session and they cracked his neck the wrong way (it was found to be the cause of the stroke) ... am I in any danger of that? I'm not a person who gets headaches, at all, and I've been having them on and off for a week now, even after my neck is almost painless.

I really feel for people with migraines now, it really sucks! it's very hard to think straight... it's very debilitating.

Your friend's dad probably had vertebral artery dissection caused by the manipulation and caused his stroke, ( the most common type of vertebral artery stroke is called Wallenberg's syndrome.) I believe the incidence of this with neck manipulation is 1 in 500,000 or so.

Anyway, you don't have those symptoms.

Your symptoms are actually quite classic for migraines ( unilateral headache and photophobia etc_) but the neck manipulation should not have triggered it. See your doc but the whole thing may have been an coincidental associaton rather than a true cause and effect.

Last edited:
Yea the headache ended up going away. Maybe it was just from being tense all day from the neck pain. Thanks again, all!

1. What could be causing my horrible migraines since I twisted my neck?

There are a few potential causes for your migraines after twisting your neck. These could include muscle tension and strain, nerve irritation, or spinal misalignment. It's important to consult with a doctor to determine the exact cause.

2. How can I alleviate my migraines after twisting my neck?

There are a few things you can do to help alleviate your migraines. These include applying ice or heat to the affected area, practicing relaxation techniques, and taking over-the-counter pain medication. Your doctor may also recommend physical therapy or chiropractic care.

3. Is it possible that my migraines are unrelated to my neck injury?

Yes, it is possible that your migraines are unrelated to your neck injury. Migraines can be triggered by a variety of factors, including stress, diet, and hormonal changes. It's important to track your symptoms and discuss them with your doctor to determine the cause of your migraines.

4. Will my migraines go away on their own?

It depends on the cause of your migraines. If they are related to your neck injury, they may improve with proper treatment and management of the injury. However, if they are caused by other factors, they may continue unless addressed with appropriate medical care.

5. Can a neck injury lead to chronic migraines?

Yes, a neck injury can potentially lead to chronic migraines if not properly treated. It's important to seek medical attention and address any underlying issues that may be causing your migraines to prevent them from becoming a chronic condition.