Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Horrible migraines since I twisted my neck

1. Apr 16, 2007 #1
    Well I twisted my neck bad last week (I also have the bad habit of cracking it all the time) and I've been having bad headaches on the top right side of my head since. It also hurts when I look at lights or screens.

I'm kind of a hypochondriac so don't laugh... but my friend's dad had a stroke after he went for a massage session and they cracked his neck the wrong way (it was found to be the cause of the stroke) ... am I in any danger of that? I'm not a person who gets headaches, at all, and I've been having them on and off for a week now, even after my neck is almost painless.

I really feel for people with migraines now, it really sucks! it's very hard to think straight... it's very debilitating.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 16, 2007 #2
    There is no way anyone here can give you advise on headaches, which you suspect came from a neck injury. You should see your doctor.

4. Apr 16, 2007 #3

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I agree with hypatia, if you're uncertain, it's best to see a doctor and ask them, especially if you don't usually get headaches and are now getting them frequently or persistently.

5. Apr 17, 2007 #4

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

See your doctor, always do when you have a headache for an extended period of time. I hope you feel better soon.

6. Apr 17, 2007 #5
    Thanks... I guess if it keeps going for next week I'll go to the Dr's... brrrr, I hate going to the Dr.

7. Apr 17, 2007 #6

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It has already been going for a week. What's wrong with the doctor, he's there to help you! He/she might be able to give you something to relieve the headache or to give advice on how to handle the situation.

8. Apr 17, 2007 #7

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Moe, go to the doctor, you don't know that it's just a migraine. :grumpy: Migraines aren't usually caused by what you described.

9. Apr 17, 2007 #8
    ok maybe a week is too long, so if I get it tomorrow I'll set up an appointment for sure. Today it came for only 5 minutes and it was gone so it seems to be getting better whatever it is...

Thanks for the advice everyone :)

10. Apr 17, 2007 #9

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I'm glad to hear it's getting better.

11. Apr 18, 2007 #10
    inflammation of the central canal?

their is a canal that runs through the center of the spinal cord and the cerebrospinal fluid that is produced by the blood brain barrier flows down it. if blocked partially, the lateral ventricles fill with fluid and press on the brain from the inside out. in emergencies this fluid can i think be re-routed to prevent hydroencephalitis. go to your doctor immediately.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2007
  12. Apr 19, 2007 #11

adrenaline

Science Advisor

Your friend's dad probably had vertebral artery dissection caused by the manipulation and caused his stroke, ( the most common type of vertebral artery stroke is called Wallenberg's syndrome.) I believe the incidence of this with neck manipulation is 1 in 500,000 or so.

Anyway, you don't have those symptoms.

Your symptoms are actually quite classic for migraines ( unilateral headache and photophobia etc_) but the neck manipulation should not have triggered it. See your doc but the whole thing may have been an coincidental associaton rather than a true cause and effect.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2007
  13. Apr 19, 2007 #12
    Yea the headache ended up going away. Maybe it was just from being tense all day from the neck pain. Thanks again, all!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?