Can Microsoft Word or Excel Set Up Hot Keys for Greek Symbols and Subscripts?

• Thread starter Whatupdoc
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hot
In summary, MS Word and Excel have the capability to set up hot keys for Greek letters and super/subscripts. In Word, you can assign a shortcut key to a symbol by going to Insert -> Symbol and then selecting the desired symbol and clicking on Shortcut Key. In Excel, you can go to Format -> Cells and check the Effects checkbox for the desired superscript or subscript. Additionally, you can customize your toolbar in Word to easily access these features and use autocorrect to replace keystrokes with symbols. The Equation Editor program can also be used to input equations and symbols into Word and Excel.
Whatupdoc
can microsoft word or excel set up hot keys for the greek letters(+-) symbol? what about super/sub scripts? can mircosoft or excel do any of that? I am trying to write my physics lab report and i need to input a lot of symbols. if mircsoft word/excel can't do it, is there any program that can? i have windows xp

Physics news on Phys.org
For super and subscript in MS Word, highlight the text you want to sub/superscript and go to Format -> Font and look for the appropriate Effects check box.

In Excel, highlight the text and go to Format -> Cells and then check the Effects checkbox you want to use.

Hope that answers part of your question.

You might want to look at this from MS Word Help:

Assign a shortcut key to a symbol

On the Insert menu, click Symbol.

Click the tab with the symbol or character you want.

Click the symbol or character you want.

Click Shortcut Key.

In the Press new shortcut key box, type the key combination you want to use.

Click Assign.

thank you, i was searching google for how to do these symbols but couldn't find anything useful.

I think the annoying little Office assistant animated paperclip guy is actually good at answering these kinds of questions.

- Warren

chroot said:
I think the annoying little Office assistant animated paperclip guy is actually good at answering these kinds of questions.

- Warren

that annoying guy was disabled by me since office was installed.

Most people, including me, disable it. But, you might consider re-enabling it just to answer these kinds of administrative questions. Then, disable it again. ;)

- Warren

I just use the contents and index in the Help pulldown menu. I sent Clippy packing a long time ago.
Although I must say the "Links" Office Assistant was kinda cute and I had that for awhile (Links is the kitty cat, course!)

It's been a while since I've used a PC, but even in older versions of Word, you could customize your toolbar. I always make sure superscript and subscript buttons are right in the toolbar (or formatting palette, whichever you prefer) to easily get at them. For symbols, you can assign shortcut keys (some are already assigned, like ctrl-m has been the Greek letter mu for as long as I can remember; or maybe it's option-m on a PC...now I can't recall, it's whichever doesn't minimize the window).

I don't know if you can do it on your version of Word, but in Office 2004 for Mac OSX, you can set your autocorrect to recognize a keystroke combination to change into the symbol of your choice. Saves you from having to make any extra keystrokes.

You could also just type in a "code" for your symbol (perhaps something like "[a" for alpha) then when you're done, just go through and do a search and replace for that symbol throughout.

MS Office usually comes with something called an Equation Editor (filename : EQNEDT**.EXE - my version is EQNEDT32 - you can do a search for this in your computer). This is good for writing up Science papers that have equations (especially if you want to show greek characters, integrals, limits, fractions or such). Once you write an equation in the Editor, you can copy it into Word or Excel, and it will retain its formatting.

1. What are hot keys?

Hot keys are keyboard shortcuts that allow you to perform tasks or commands in a program or operating system without using a mouse or other input device. They are typically activated by pressing a combination of keys at the same time, such as Ctrl + C to copy or Ctrl + V to paste.

2. How do I use super/subscripts?

To use super/subscripts in a document, you can use the following key combinations:
- Superscript: Ctrl + Shift + +
- Subscript: Ctrl + =
Alternatively, you can go to the formatting options in your document editor and select the superscript or subscript option.

3. Why are hot keys and super/subscripts useful?

Hot keys and super/subscripts can save you time and effort when working on a computer. They allow you to quickly perform tasks or format text without having to navigate through menus or use a mouse. This can be especially useful for repetitive tasks or when working with large amounts of text.

4. Can I customize hot keys and super/subscripts?

Many programs and operating systems allow you to customize hot keys and super/subscripts to your liking. This can be done through the settings or preferences menu. Some programs may also allow you to create your own custom hot keys for specific tasks.

5. Are hot keys and super/subscripts supported on all devices?

Hot keys and super/subscripts are supported on most devices, including desktop computers, laptops, and mobile devices. However, some devices may have different key combinations for activating hot keys and super/subscripts, so it's important to check the device's user manual or online resources for the specific key combinations.