Microsoft Mathematics: Calculate EM Energy Momentum Tensor

• I
  • Thread starter George Keeling
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mathematics
In summary, Microsoft Mathematics is a useful download for matrix manipulation, but it is not an online tool.
George Keeling
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
I just found Microsoft mathematics. Useful for matrix manipulation and more
fresh_42 said:
Have a look on
https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...th-and-other-curiosities.970262/#post-6164027and write me a message if you found a better one, please.
Here's something that maybe should go in the list and here are the pros and cons:

I was recently doing a problem which involved calculating the electromagnetic energy momentum tensor$$
T^{\mu\nu}=F^{\mu\lambda}F_{\ \ \ \lambda}^\nu-\frac{1}{4}\eta^{\mu\nu}F^{\lambda\sigma}F_{\lambda\sigma}
$$In a previous problem I had already calculate$$
F_{\mu\nu}=\left[\begin{matrix}0&-E_1&-E_2&-E_3\\E_1&0&B_3&-B_2\\E_2&-B_3&0&B_1\\E_3&B_2&-B_1&0\\\end{matrix}\right],\ F_{\ \ \ \lambda}^\nu=\eta^{\nu\rho}F_{\rho\lambda}=\left[\begin{matrix}0&E_1&E_2&E_3\\E_1&0&B_3&-B_2\\E_2&-B_3&0&B_1\\E_3&B_2&-B_1&0\\\end{matrix}\right]
$$
and$$
F^{\mu\nu}=F_{\ \ \ \lambda}^\mu\eta^{\lambda\nu}=\left[\begin{matrix}0&E_1&E_2&E_3\\-E_1&0&B_3&-B_2\\-E_2&-B_3&0&B_1\\{-E}_3&B_2&-B_1&0\\\end{matrix}\right]
$$I was using ##c=1## and metric signature ##-++++##
So I had to do a bit of unpleasant matrix multiplication. I found Microsoft Mathematics (https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=15702) useful. It successfully tells me that $$
F^{\mu\lambda}F_{\ \ \ \lambda}^\nu=\left[\begin{matrix}{E_1}^2+{E_2}^2+{E_3}^2&B_3E_2-B_2E_3&B_1E_3-B_3E_1&B_2E_1-B_1E_2\\B_3E_2-B_2E_3&{B_2}^2+{B_3}^2-{E_1}^2&-B_1B_2-E_1E_2&-B_1B_3-E_1E_3\\B_1E_3-B_3E_1&-B_1B_2-E_1E_2&{B_1}^2+{B_3}^2-{E_2}^2&-B_2B_3-E_2E_3\\B_2E_1-B_1E_2&-B_1B_3-E_1E_3&-B_2B_3-E_2E_3&{B_1}^2+{B_2}^2-{E_3}^2\\\end{matrix}\right]
$$
(without working out that ##{E_1}^2+{E_2}^2+{E_3}^2=E##) and was good at the other bits. The above matrix will easily paste back into a MS-Word equation. Sadly one cannot paste matrices from Word into it.

Subscripted variables can easily be entered as E_x becomes ##E_x##. Greek letters are allowed too. Superscripts are always exponents. It also does differentiation, integration and quite a bit more which I have not explored.

It has some drawbacks on my computer at least.

As mentioned I was unable to copy/paste matrices from MS-Equations into MS-Mathematics, so all the data entry must be done in the latter. There is an addin which might do the trick. It's at https://www.microsoft.com/en-US/download/details.aspx?id=36777 but it did not like my version of Word (Office 365). The main install program, crashed when it came to the addin part.

The 'keyboard' is tiny and the seven choices of colours are demented. For some reason the image below is larger than actual size.
MS Maths.png

Last edited:
Likes WWGD
Physics news on Phys.org
George Keeling said:
Summary:: I just found Microsoft mathematics. Useful for matrix manipulation and more

Here's something that maybe should go in the list and here are the pros and cons:
Maybe, but it is of a different quality. It is a download, not an online tool. If we started listing useful tools we would probably be worse than the many download sites which already exist. And it is likely dependent on the OS.

Likes George Keeling

1. What is Microsoft Mathematics?

Microsoft Mathematics is a free software program that allows users to solve mathematical equations and perform calculations.

2. How do I calculate EM Energy Momentum Tensor using Microsoft Mathematics?

To calculate EM Energy Momentum Tensor using Microsoft Mathematics, you can use the built-in functions and tools for solving equations and performing calculations related to electromagnetic energy and momentum.

3. Can Microsoft Mathematics handle complex calculations and equations?

Yes, Microsoft Mathematics has the capability to handle complex calculations and equations, including those related to EM Energy Momentum Tensor.

4. Is Microsoft Mathematics suitable for both beginners and advanced users?

Yes, Microsoft Mathematics is designed to be user-friendly for both beginners and advanced users. It offers a variety of tools and features that can be used by users with different levels of mathematical knowledge.

5. Is Microsoft Mathematics available for all operating systems?

No, Microsoft Mathematics is only available for Windows operating systems. It is not compatible with Mac or Linux systems.