How Accurate Were Guns in the Wild West?

  • Thread starter Thread starter wolram
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
45 replies · 7K views
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Messages
4,411
Reaction score
552
Of the wild west?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
wolram said:
of the wild west?

+/- 7
 
Colt's Single Action Army pistols were very good for their time (and still are), as were Remington's offerings. For long-guns, Winchester lever-actions were pretty accurate and had impressive firepower (fast repeating action). Best of all were the long-barreled single-shots, but they were best used on game that could not shoot back.

Even today, some very accurate rounds (in a properly-made rifle) are from the black-powder era - .38-55 and .45-70 are both tack-drivers when mated up with the proper rifles.
 
Guns were more accurate back then than they are now. You used to be able to hit a California Condor, or Spotted Owl from 50 yards, but not any more.
 
turbo-1 said:
Colt's Single Action Army pistols were very good for their time (and still are), as were Remington's offerings. For long-guns, Winchester lever-actions were pretty accurate and had impressive firepower (fast repeating action). Best of all were the long-barreled single-shots, but they were best used on game that could not shoot back.

Gets his info from Red Dead Redemption.

Jimmy Snyder said:
Guns were more accurate back then than they are now. You used to be able to hit a California Condor, or Spotted Owl from 50 yards, but not any more.

Gets his info from old prospectors.

EDIT: Oh crap... that was a hilarious joke that I totally missed! Sigh... good job, Jimmy. I'm sorry.
 
Jimmy Snyder said:
Guns were more accurate back then than they are now. You used to be able to hit a California Condor, or Spotted Owl from 50 yards, but not any more.

Clever :biggrin:
 
I'm going to go on a limb here and guess those birds are extinct now? Or else I'm totally missing the joke :biggrin:
 
Mentallic said:
I'm going to go on a limb here and guess those birds are extinct now? Or else I'm totally missing the joke :biggrin:

I'm with you on that. And if they aren't extinct, I will henceforth dedicate my life to making them so, lest the joke never make sense.
 
turbo-1 said:
They are not extinct, but bag-limits are very restrictive. :devil:

Time to drag out the DNA-targeting micro-nukes! Kill 'em all with one shot, it's just one fine... what $500 or so? I can live with that.
 
Mentallic said:
I'm going to go on a limb here and guess those birds are extinct now? Or else I'm totally missing the joke :biggrin:

Nope, they're just much much smaller now. :-p
 
Danger said:
Time to drag out the DNA-targeting micro-nukes! Kill 'em all with one shot, it's just one fine... what $500 or so? I can live with that.
Hmm. Violating the Endangered Species act by killing a condor can send you to jail for a year AND a $100,000 fine. A bit more than $500.
 
turbo-1 said:
Hmm. Violating the Endangered Species act by killing a condor can send you to jail for a year AND a $100,000 fine. A bit more than $500.

That is assuming that I target them from your side of the border, where I'm not allowed. If I launch from the top of Mount Yamnuska, there isn't much that can be done about it.
 
Wow! If you shoot a wild turkey out of season here, or without the proper permit, you pay a $500 fine, pay a $500 "replacement fee" (despite the fact that the turkeys breed like rabbits and need no "replacement") AND lose your hunting and fishing license for 5 years.
 
turbo-1 said:
Hmm. Violating the Endangered Species act by killing a condor can send you to jail for a year AND a $100,000 fine. A bit more than $500.

How do you type responses with your arms around that tree, hippy?
 
FlexGunship said:
How do you type responses with your arms around that tree, hippy?

He sounds more like a good lawyer than a tree hugger. :smile:
 
stevenb said:
He sounds more like a good lawyer than a tree hugger. :smile:
I am an avid hunter and I cut down trees to burn in my wood-stove.
 
turbo-1 said:
I am an avid hunter and I cut down trees to burn in my wood-stove.
Many of you may remember the Sahara Forest before turbo-1's trip to Africa.
 
stevenb said:
a good lawyer

Isn't that an oxymoron? :-p
The appellation "hippy" is no insult to me whatsoever. Despite my home of Alberta being touted as the "Bible Belt" of Canada, it has nothing at all compared to southern Ontario. I was stuck down there for 13 years. When I was 16, my hair started to creep down to almost the tops of my ears. I received death threats, from not only fellow students but also their parents, if I didn't get a haircut. I was a "hippy". Didn't matter that I didn't drink, take drugs, party, and had a perverse attraction to astrophysics... my hair was more than 1/2" long, so I was an evil influence. Needless to say, I never cut my hair again until the end of Grade 12. For one reason or another, those who threatened me slipped off of the map.
 
Jimmy Snyder said:
Many of you may remember the Sahara Forest before turbo-1's trip to Africa.
That wasn't me. I had something to do with the Gobi Forest though.
 
Danger said:
Isn't that an oxymoron? :-p
The appellation "hippy" is no insult to me whatsoever. Despite my home of Alberta being touted as the "Bible Belt" of Canada, it has nothing at all compared to southern Ontario. I was stuck down there for 13 years. When I was 16, my hair started to creep down to almost the tops of my ears. I received death threats, from not only fellow students but also their parents, if I didn't get a haircut. I was a "hippy". Didn't matter that I didn't drink, take drugs, party, and had a perverse attraction to astrophysics... my hair was more than 1/2" long, so I was an evil influence.

:raises an eyebrow:
You smokin' that prairie weed?
 
Danger said:
Isn't that an oxymoron? :-p
The appellation "hippy" is no insult to me whatsoever. Despite my home of Alberta being touted as the "Bible Belt" of Canada, it has nothing at all compared to southern Ontario. I was stuck down there for 13 years. When I was 16, my hair started to creep down to almost the tops of my ears. I received death threats, from not only fellow students but also their parents, if I didn't get a haircut. I was a "hippy". Didn't matter that I didn't drink, take drugs, party, and had a perverse attraction to astrophysics... my hair was more than 1/2" long, so I was an evil influence. Needless to say, I never cut my hair again until the end of Grade 12. For one reason or another, those who threatened me slipped off of the map.

I grew up in Southern Ontario. I had longish hair when I was younger.. one my way home I used to pass by a Barbour shop that was owned by a family friend of something like 60+ years, his grandfather was my grandmothers good friend etc etc

One day while walking past I got grabbed by my shoulders and one ear by the older guy and his son, dragged into the shop and held down while they shaved my head short - then sent me on my way but not before telling me my father had instructed them to "cut his damned hair off". lol
 
encorp said:
I grew up in Southern Ontario. I had longish hair when I was younger.. one my way home I used to pass by a Barbour shop that was owned by a family friend of something like 60+ years, his grandfather was my grandmothers good friend etc etc

One day while walking past I got grabbed by my shoulders and one ear by the older guy and his son, dragged into the shop and held down while they shaved my head short - then sent me on my way but not before telling me my father had instructed them to "cut his damned hair off". lol

How far south? And when? I was 2 miles north of Ruthven, 5 miles out of Leamington, 35 miles SE of Windsor/Detroit. I was there from '65 to '78, and the hair thing (meaning high-school days) occurred from '70 to '74.
 
turbo-1 said:
I am an avid hunter and I cut down trees to burn in my wood-stove.

not a lawyer, ... but a hunter ... well, same killer instinct at least.

Tough crowd here. Trees, forests, animals and Danger's enemies are all slipping off the map. :smile:
 
Danger said:
How far south? And when? I was 2 miles north of Ruthven, 5 miles out of Leamington, 35 miles SE of Windsor/Detroit. I was there from '65 to '78, and the hair thing (meaning high-school days) occurred from '70 to '74.

Ah. Land of latex rubber gloves...
:eek:
 
DaveC426913 said:
Ah. Land of latex rubber gloves...
:eek:

:confused: