How are Hofstadter's butterfly and Landau levels in 2D related?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
VishalSharma
Messages
3
Reaction score
1
How are Hofstader's Butterfly and Landau Levels in 2-Dimesnions related to each other, if at all ?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: atyy
Physics news on Phys.org
VishalSharma said:
Thanks for your help!
I'm currently writing a paper about Quantum Hall Effect, and I've run into these two concepts during my research. And as far as I am concerned, Landau level doesn't fully explain QHE and the "butterfly" is only remotely related. Quantum Hall effect is more of the result of mathematics than physics. The formulation of the resulting current in y direction under a weak electric filed in x direction, just so happens to consists of an integration that is mathematically proven to be an integer.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: VishalSharma
Yes, I read that Hofstadter's butterfly is the result of the solution of the Harper's equation, which is just a particular case of a mathematical tool called Almost Mathieu Operator (i.e. λ = 1).