How are mass calculations done in the weightless environment of space?

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter nuby
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Mass Space
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 4K views
nuby
Messages
336
Reaction score
0
Mass calculations in space

If an astronaut wanted to determine the mass of an object in outer space (0g), what is the procedure?
 
Last edited:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Could you though? I would think you would only be able to calculate the moment of inertia, not the actual mass.

You could attach it to a spring with a known spring constant and use simple harmonic motion.
 
Kazza_765 said:
Could you though? I would think you would only be able to calculate the moment of inertia, not the actual mass.
One could calculate the mass of a body of known geometry from it's moment of inertia.
Kazza_765 said:
You could attach it to a spring with a known spring constant and use simple harmonic motion.
However, I do think this would be the better option.
 
Oscillating the inertial mass on a spring was the principle used to measure the mass of astronauts on Skylab.

As I'm new here I can't post urls in my messages yet, but search for "Mass Measurements Aboard Space Station Skylab" with your favourite search engine and you should get a hit from the NASA website which describes the device used to measure the astronauts' mass.
 
Thanks... a few more posts and I'll have the power to give URLs.