How big are the health effects of fluorocarbons?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Kontilera
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Effects Health
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 2K views
Kontilera
Messages
176
Reaction score
24
Hello!

I love camping, all year around.
However lately I've been hearing much about the hazardous effects of flourocarbons and this got me wondering... Since I didn't know if my tent contained any so called PFC's I mailed the producer and got this answer:

"Our tents are not yet PFC-free. They are still equipped with C6 chemistry. However, there are no health concerns for the users of the tents. The impregnating agent is more critical during the production process, as there is the greatest risk of entering into the Waters."

Maybe this is true.. I don't know. So it would be interesting to hear your opinions on this subject.
Should I worry about the health effects from tenting? Or is this effect so small that it's probably healthier to be hiking in my tent since I get away from the polluted city air?

Thanks!
 
Chemistry news on Phys.org
Kontilera said:
Or is this effect so small that it's probably healthier to be hiking in my tent since I get away from the polluted city air?

That would be my bet.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: ChemAir and HAYAO
Fluorocarbons typically have low affinities toward most compounds. There's an entire area of study called fluorochemistry, which should give you a hint that it is a very important class of study. They are used in chemical engineering as well as on many things, with the one you most likely see in your daily life like frying pans. Fluorocarbons are lipophobic and hydrophobic at the same time, which rejects water and fats and prevent them from sticking on your frying pan.

Fluorocarbons (fluoroalkanes) are not bioaccumulate. If you were to consume fluorocarbons, my best bet is that they will just come out as human wastes. You should check the SDS of each specific fluorocarbon you are looking at to make sure they are okay. Most commercial products are fluoroalkanes. Other type of fluorocarbons such as fluoroalkenes and fluoroalkynes are toxic.

In more simpler terms, you'll be fine.