How bright of a bolide would a Saturn IV-B stage be if it hit Earth

In summary, it is uncertain how bright a Saturn IV-B stage would be if it hit Earth, but it is likely that it would not be as bright as the recent Chelyabinsk meteor. This is because the mass of the meteorite is estimated to be 14,000 tons, while the empty mass of the S IVB is less than 15 tons. Additionally, the recovered meteorite material is only around 1000kg, which is much less than the mass of the Saturn IV-B stage. Overall, it is possible that the Saturn IV-B stage may not even be strong enough to be considered a bolide.
swampwiz
I understand that there are a few of these still out there that have basically become Earth-crossing asteroids. It would seem that they wouldn't be as bright as the recent Chelyabinsk meteor.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
from your title

How bright of a bolide would a Saturn IV-B stage be if it hit Earth

A technical correction, if it hit the Earth it wouldn't be bright.

You really meant " as it went through the Earth's atmosphere" :smile:
swampwiz said:
It would seem that they wouldn't be as bright as the recent Chelyabinsk meteor.

hard to say, maybe just as bright but not for as long a time

There are still 5 stages out there, Apollo's 8, 9, 10, 11, and 12Dave

edited error

Last edited:
davenn said:
Well, they are of similar size and mass, so it would be interesting to see what they looked like in comparison
Not by my reckoning. The mass of the meteorite )Wikipedia) is estimated at 14,000 tons. The empty mass of the S IVB is less than 15 tons . ...

hutchphd said:
The mass of the meteorite )Wikipedia) is estimated at 14,000 tons

Ohh you are right I know where I mis-read ... edited

and that is meteor / meteoroid, not meteorite, recovered meteorite material is only around 1000kg = 1 tonne

Likes hutchphd
hutchphd said:
Not by my reckoning. The mass of the meteorite )Wikipedia) is estimated at 14,000 tons. The empty mass of the S IVB is less than 15 tons . ...
Ah, I should have taken that into account. It wouldn't be much at all - perhaps not even strong enough to be a bolide. And of course, Skylab was about the same size

Last edited:

1. How bright would a Saturn IV-B stage be if it hit Earth?

The brightness of a Saturn IV-B stage would depend on various factors such as its size, composition, and speed at impact. However, it is estimated that it would produce a flash of light similar to a nuclear bomb explosion.

2. What is a bolide?

A bolide is a large meteor that explodes in the Earth's atmosphere, creating a bright flash of light. It is also known as a fireball or shooting star.

3. Would a Saturn IV-B stage hitting Earth cause damage?

Yes, a Saturn IV-B stage hitting Earth would cause significant damage. The impact would create a large explosion, releasing a tremendous amount of energy, and potentially causing destruction in the surrounding area.

4. How often do bolides hit Earth?

Bolides hit Earth quite frequently, but most of them are small and go unnoticed. It is estimated that around 500 meteorites reach the Earth's surface each year, with most of them being the size of a pebble.

5. Can we predict if a bolide will hit Earth?

Yes, scientists can predict if a bolide will hit Earth by tracking their trajectory and using advanced technologies such as telescopes and radar. However, predicting the exact location and time of impact is challenging, and it is usually only possible a few hours or days in advance.