How can CH3Cl can be converted to CH3CH2Cl in one step?

• Thread starter Anindya Mondal
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolves around the conversion and preparation of CH3CH2Cl. The speaker asks if it can be converted in one step and the context of the question is clarified. The potential use of CH3CH2Cl and its commercial production process are also mentioned. The conversation ends with the speaker still seeking information on how to prepare CH3CH2Cl.
Anindya Mondal
Can it be converted in one step?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
What is the context of your question? Is this for schoolwork? If not, what do you want to use the CH3CH2Cl for?

It would have to involve methane I expect, and that would mean H2 being produced.
Then you need Oxygen to combine with that H2 ideally, maybe Hydrogen peroxide would do it.
I looked at ways CH3CH2Cl is produced commercially and it's done starting with ethylene, C2H4

How to prepare CH3CH2Cl then?

Anindya Mondal said:
How to prepare CH3CH2Cl then?
You still have not answered my questions...

Likes Anindya Mondal
IMG_20170729_221014.jpg
berkeman said:

berkeman said:

1. How is CH3Cl converted to CH3CH2Cl in one step?

The conversion of CH3Cl to CH3CH2Cl can be achieved through a substitution reaction, where a chlorine atom is replaced by an ethyl group. This can be done by reacting CH3Cl with sodium ethoxide, resulting in the formation of CH3CH2Cl and sodium chloride.

2. Can this conversion be carried out under mild conditions?

Yes, the substitution reaction can be carried out under mild conditions, typically at room temperature and in the presence of a solvent such as ethanol. This makes it a convenient and efficient method for converting CH3Cl to CH3CH2Cl in one step.

3. Is this conversion process widely used in industrial applications?

Yes, the substitution reaction for converting CH3Cl to CH3CH2Cl is a commonly used method in industrial applications, particularly in the production of solvents and other organic compounds.

4. Are there any other methods for converting CH3Cl to CH3CH2Cl?

Yes, there are several other methods for converting CH3Cl to CH3CH2Cl, such as using hydrogen chloride gas and ethylene, or reacting CH3Cl with hydrogen gas and a nickel catalyst. However, these methods may require multiple steps and are not as convenient as the substitution reaction.

5. What are the potential uses of CH3CH2Cl?

CH3CH2Cl, also known as ethyl chloride, has various uses in industries such as pharmaceuticals, agrochemicals, and as a solvent in organic synthesis. It is also used as a local anesthetic and refrigerant, and as a propellant in aerosol products.