How can heat management be optimized in compressed air powered bikes?

In summary, this student is looking into compressed air powered bikes as a way to reduce emissions, but finds that the technology is not yet viable. They are also looking into a two stroke engine as an alternative, but note that the pressure required is not feasible.
Hari Mechie
hey mechies,

i know "compressed air powered bike" is one of the oldest concept of our engineers but still in their developing stage..

i am in my final year of mechanical engineering undergraduate course. And i am about to do final project by end of this year.. when searching for real time problems my mind strikes on compressed air. the compressed air stored in a container have kinetic energy which can be used in engine to convert it into useful mechanical power.

i thought of using four stroke single cylinder engine. replacing its cam mechanism with solenoids for valve actuation. now the engine will probably a two stroke engine.

but i got strucked in the place tat is tat pressure of air can be used to move the piston downward (as the engine is going to be used in a two wheeler)...?
please post ur valuable suggestion so that let's make our environment clean..!
with regards
hari prasad

Engineering news on Phys.org
compressed air stored in a container have kinetic energy
Actually, that would be potential energy.

so that let's make our environment clean..!
It takes energy to compress the air, and a lot of it. Are you certain you are not simply moving the emissions from the vehicle to the power plant?

You need to do a work/energy analysis. Typical compressed air pressures have limited capacity for power, especially to move a vehicle for any useful distance. In order to get higher pressures, you would need heavier compresssed air plumbing, tanks, motors, etc., thus making the vehicle heavier, thus requiring more power. That is why gasoline & diesel engines are so useful.

Engineering compressed air propulsion is also an excercise in heat management.
Compressing air does a lot of work on it, so it heats up.
However, the compressed air tank will want to be at ambient temperature, so there is need for a heat exchanger when charging the tank.
More problematically, the expansion of the air being tapped from the tank to run the engine will cool the air dramatically, to the point that ice will form on the fittings.
Chilling the air makes it contract, so the cooling cuts the operating efficiency of the setup.

What is a compressed air powered bike?

A compressed air powered bike is a bicycle that uses compressed air as its source of energy instead of traditional fuels like gasoline or electricity.

How does a compressed air powered bike work?

A compressed air powered bike works by storing compressed air in a tank, which is then released to power a small motor that drives the bike's wheels. The air is typically compressed using a pump or compressor, similar to how you would fill up a tire with air.

What are the benefits of a compressed air powered bike?

Compressed air powered bikes are environmentally friendly as they do not produce any emissions. They are also quieter than traditional bikes and require less maintenance as there are fewer moving parts. Additionally, compressed air is a renewable resource, making it a sustainable option for transportation.

What are the limitations of a compressed air powered bike?

One of the main limitations of a compressed air powered bike is its range. The amount of compressed air that can be stored in a tank is limited, so the bike may have a shorter range compared to traditional bikes. Additionally, it may take longer to refill the tank compared to filling up a gas tank.

Are there any other applications for compressed air powered technology?

Yes, compressed air powered technology is used in a variety of other applications, such as power tools, vehicles, and even as a source of energy for pneumatic systems in factories. It is a versatile and efficient source of energy that has many potential uses.