How Can I Address the Divergence in $\phi$ and $\ket{\overrightarrow{P}}$?

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Diracobama2181
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Quantum field theory
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
Diracobama2181
Messages
70
Reaction score
3
TL;DR
Currently needing insight on re normalization for $$\bra{ \overrightarrow{P'}}\phi^4\ket{ \overrightarrow{P}}$$.
I already know this quantity diverges, however I was wondering where to go from there. Any resource would be appreciated. Thank you.
Useful Information:
$$\phi=\int\frac{d^3k}{2\omega_k (2\pi)^3}(\hat{a}(\overrightarrow{k})e^{-ikx}+\hat{a}(\overrightarrow{k})^{\dagger}e^{ikx}))$$
$$\ket{\overrightarrow{P}}=\hat{a}(\overrightarrow{k})^{\dagger}\ket{0}$$
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
$$\bra{\overrightarrow{P}}\phi\ket{0}=\frac{1}{2\omega_k (2\pi)^3}(\hat{a}(\overrightarrow{k})e^{-ikx}+\hat{a}(\overrightarrow{k})^{\dagger}e^{ikx})$$To show that this quantity diverges, you will need to analyze the behavior of the integrand as $k \rightarrow \infty$. To do this, consider the limit of the integrand as $k \rightarrow \infty$:$$\lim_{k\rightarrow\infty}\frac{1}{2\omega_k (2\pi)^3}(\hat{a}(\overrightarrow{k})e^{-ikx}+\hat{a}(\overrightarrow{k})^{\dagger}e^{ikx})$$Since $\omega_k \propto k$, the denominator goes to infinity faster than the numerator as $k \rightarrow \infty$, so the integrand goes to 0. Therefore, the integral diverges as $k \rightarrow \infty$.