How Can I Build My Own Telescope Without a Tube?

  • Topic: Stargazing 
  • Thread starter Thread starter mishoz
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Building Telescope
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
mishoz
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Hello,
I've bought a skywatcher refractor 1025AZ3 with D:102mm F:500mm but unfortunatlly i wasnt able to get into my country so i have everything except the tube, so i decided to build the tube..do u know how i can find the construction instructions to build this tube or is it possible to build another refractor tube with different specs or even a reflactor one?


p.s: i have 45º Erect Prism, 1.25” Super 25 and 10,Red dot finder.

Thank you.
Ahmed
 
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Hi,
I am also planning to build a telescope, need to collect all the equipment. looking for best measurements and its type.The suggested book was "How to make a telescope " Jean Texereau.
 
Ive used all youtube videos and kinda looked up each part as I went. The most difficult phase I have found is the figuring of the mirror into a paraboloid from a sphere. The foucault tester involved has to be very sensitive. So make sure to build a very sturdy tester. This is the best one I have found is here http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=FL61C1Lsgudm9Db_s6qRQOag, the cheapest place for grinding/polishing supplies is http://firsthanddiscovery.com/. The blank itself is hard to find cheap. I got one on ebay for 13 dollars and it was beat to hell, but easy to clean up, unfortunately that was two years ago and I haven't seen another cheap one since. Here is the cheapest site I have found for blanks. http://www.telescopemirrorblanks.com/. I had to restart my mirror twice so I have a real good idea on what to do and what not to do.
Here is the best site for grinding and polishing directions. http://stellafane.org/tm/atm/. And for figuring I used this http://www.loptics.com/ATM/mirror_making/full_lap/full_lap.html and this http://www.bbastrodesigns.com/JoyOfMirrorMaking/Parabolizing.html. There is a good video explaining the different test types on the ATM link as well. I am sending my mirror off to be aluminized as we speak. Happy Grinding!