How Can I Calculate an Unbiased Average Movie Rating?

  • Level: High School 
  • Thread starter Thread starter DaveC426913
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Brain
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
8 replies · 3K views
DaveC426913
Gold Member
2025 Award
Messages
24,696
Reaction score
9,099
My website posts my movie reviews and rates them from 1 - 5. I want to post an average*, and I can't figure out how to do it.

Rating Number of movies
1....6
2...10
3...41
4...37
5...12

I can't figure out how to average* them without biasing them in favour of the higher numbers.

(*by average, I mean I should get approx 3.? / 5 .)
 
Physics news on Phys.org
When I average them out I get about 3.36 which I would think is approximately 3.
 
dunno why this is a problem. avg. is
[tex]\overline{s}=\sum n_is_i/\sum n_i[/tex]
This doesn't "bias" to high scores: consider if you had 6 1's and 6 5's and nothing else. You would get avg.=(1*6+5*6)/(1+5)=3 exactly as expected, so what do you mean by this "bias"?
 
krab said:
dunno why this is a problem. avg. is
[tex]\overline{s}=\sum n_is_i/\sum n_i[/tex]
This doesn't "bias" to high scores: consider if you had 6 1's and 6 5's and nothing else. You would get avg.=(1*6+5*6)/(1+5)=3 exactly as expected, so what do you mean by this "bias"?

This is where I am confused.

What do you mean by "bias"?
 
OK, so


(5*12)+(4*37)+(3*41)+(2+10)+(1*6) = 357
1+2+3+4+5 = 15

357/15 = 23.8
 
Oh.

Oh.

It's just 357 / 107.

Duh.
 
DaveC426913 said:
OK, so
(5*12)+(4*37)+(3*41)+(2+10)+(1*6) = 357
1+2+3+4+5 = 15
357/15 = 23.8
Don't divide by the sum of the "choices" divide by the number of total ratings

ie. ((6*1)+(10*2)+(41*3)+(37*4)+(12*5))/(6+10+41+37+12) which is about 3.36
 
I've had it right all along and I keep second-guesing my code. (This is not even the first time I've tried to "fix" it.)

It's been saying 3.3 for a long time now, but that's not because it's "stuck" or broken, that's because 3.3 *is* the point of convergence, and subsequent entries are strongly averaging around it.

BTW, for those interested, my reviews and ratings page is http://www.davesbrain.ca/reviews.php" . It is database driven, and I am rather proud of it.
 
Last edited by a moderator: