How to determine an impact based on components

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with determining success rates for a group of sales reps over two years. The speaker is trying to calculate their overall success rate for 2017 while starting with a baseline of 14.6% from 2016. However, there are discrepancies in the data, such as the number of calls made by rep5, which make it difficult to accurately determine the success rate. The conversation also touches on the issue of adding different averages with different bases and the potential confusion caused by using decimals and percentages inconsistently. The speaker admits that there may not be a way to accurately calculate the desired outcome.
Semidevilz
I feel this is an easy arithmetic, but I can’t figure out how to get it to work out.
Let’s say I have an overall metric of sales data that can be broken down by 5 sales reps.

In 2016, each rep makes a certain number of phone calls and their success rate is # of sales divided by # of calls. I'm able to determine my overall 2016 performance by summing each reps sales and dividing by the total number of calls for a total success rate. so for example:
rep1: sales: 5; calls 10; success .50
rep2: sales: 3; calls 20; success .15
rep3 : sales: 2; calls 10; success .20
rep4: sales: 1; calls 10; success .10
rep5: sales: 8; calls 80; success .1
total: sales 19; calls 130; success .146

In 2017, the same 5 reps performance are available

rep1: sales: 5; calls 100; success .05
rep2: sales: 10; calls 20; success .5
rep3 : sales: 2; calls 10; success .20
rep4: sales: 1; calls 100; success .01
rep5: sales: 80; calls 2000; success .4
total: sales 98; calls 2230; success 4.3%
my goal is that I want to start at 14.6%(initial success) and mathematically determine how much each rep contributed to my final success of 4.3%.

Ideally, 14.6% + or minus rep1...rep2...rep3...rep4...rep5 = 4.3%. how do I do this calculation? I've tried a couple methods with weighting and such but I still can't get it to tie out.

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Semidevilz said:
total: sales 98; calls 430; success 4.3%
How did you get 4.3% from 98 out of 430? I get 23%.

Also, I think that rep5 only made 200 calls, not 2000.

Edit: Oh, that's what happened. It's all that typo for rep 5. Fix that number.

jbriggs444 said:
How did you get 4.3% from 98 out of 430? I get 23%.

Also, I think that rep5 only made 200 calls, not 2000.

Edit: Oh, that's what happened. It's all that typo for rep 5. Fix that number.
Whoops. Fixed! 2000 is correct for this exercise

Semidevilz said:
Whoops. Fixed! 2000 is correct for this exercise
How can 2000 calls for rep5 be reasonable when the other reps made between 10 and 100 calls?

Also, you can easily confuse yourself and others by being inconsistent with some success rates written as decimals and others as percentages.
Semidevilz said:
Ideally, 14.6% + or minus rep1...rep2...rep3...rep4...rep5 = 4.3%. how do I do this calculation?
I don't know if it makes much sense. You can't really add averages if their bases are different. This works correctly in "baseball averages" if a batter is up 6 times with 2 hits in one game, and up 4 times with 1 hit in another game. His average would be ##\frac 2 6 + \frac 1 4 = \frac 3 {10}## or .300, but regular fractions don't work this way. Outside of baseball ##\frac 2 6 + \frac 1 4 = \frac 4 {12} + \frac 3 {12} = \frac 7 {12}##, which is a lot larger than .300.

Mark44 said:
How can 2000 calls for rep5 be reasonable when the other reps made between 10 and 100 calls?

Also, you can easily confuse yourself and others by being inconsistent with some success rates written as decimals and others as percentages.I don't know if it makes much sense. You can't really add averages if their bases are different. This works correctly in "baseball averages" if a batter is up 6 times with 2 hits in one game, and up 4 times with 1 hit in another game. His average would be ##\frac 2 6 + \frac 1 4 = \frac 3 {10}## or .300, but regular fractions don't work this way. Outside of baseball ##\frac 2 6 + \frac 1 4 = \frac 4 {12} + \frac 3 {12} = \frac 7 {12}##, which is a lot larger than .300.

Thanks. I know there's some issues with calculating it the way I want, but was just wondering if there was a way to make it work.

1. How do you identify the components of an impact?

The first step in determining an impact is to identify the components involved. This can be done by conducting a thorough analysis of the situation, including any relevant data or evidence. It is important to consider all potential factors that may have contributed to the impact, such as environmental, social, and economic factors.

2. What methods can be used to assess the impact of each component?

There are various methods that can be used to assess the impact of each component. These may include qualitative and quantitative data analysis, stakeholder interviews, surveys, and impact assessments. The most appropriate method will depend on the specific situation and the type of impact being evaluated.

3. How can you determine the significance of each component's impact?

To determine the significance of each component's impact, it is important to consider the scale, scope, and duration of the impact. This can be done by comparing the impact to established benchmarks or standards, and by consulting with experts in the field. It is also important to consider the potential long-term effects of the impact.

4. What factors should be considered when determining the overall impact?

When determining the overall impact, it is important to consider all of the components involved and their individual impacts. Other factors that should be considered include the severity of the impact, the number of people affected, and the potential for long-term consequences. It is also important to consider any potential trade-offs or unintended consequences that may arise from addressing the impact.

5. How can the results of impact assessment be used to inform decision-making?

The results of an impact assessment can provide valuable information to inform decision-making. This may include identifying potential risks and opportunities, evaluating the effectiveness of current strategies, and identifying areas for improvement. The results can also be used to communicate the impact of a project or policy to stakeholders and the public.