How can I design a parafoil for a 500g rocket payload?

• Thread starter emperley3
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Design
In summary, the conversation is about designing a parafoil for a rocket payload in a national competition. The person in charge of the parafoil is considering using off-the-shelf parts or making their own using nylon or similar material. They are seeking any recommendations or previous experiences with parafoil construction. One suggestion is to visit www.parafoilaviation.com or use a seabreeze parachute. However, the website www.airfoilaviation.com cannot be accessed and the person is asking for help with this issue.
emperley3
[SOLVED] CanSat - Parafoil Design Help

Hello-

I am designing a parafoil to control the descent of a 500g rocket payload. The payload is designed to take panoramic pictures at a apogee of approx. 2500 ft and controlled landing in a national competition (CanSat - http://www.cansatcompetition.com/Main.html ).

I am heading the construction of the parafoil and I'm considering OTS parts if they are cost-effective, or making my own using nylon or similar material if this is time effective. I am hoping you have some insight in either of these areas. I've been kite surfing a few times, and know that I don't need a parafoil anywhere near this size.

Do you know of any sites or resources for basic parafoil construction or inexpensive small parafoils to purchase? Any recommendations? Previous experience and words of wisdom?

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org

emperley3 said:
Hello-

I am designing a parafoil to control the descent of a 500g rocket payload. The payload is designed to take panoramic pictures at a apogee of approx. 2500 ft and controlled landing in a national competition (CanSat - http://www.cansatcompetition.com/Main.html ).

I am heading the construction of the parafoil and I'm considering OTS parts if they are cost-effective, or making my own using nylon or similar material if this is time effective. I am hoping you have some insight in either of these areas. I've been kite surfing a few times, and know that I don't need a parafoil anywhere near this size.

Do you know of any sites or resources for basic parafoil construction or inexpensive small parafoils to purchase? Any recommendations? Previous experience and words of wisdom?
=========================================================================================================================================

WWW.parafoilaviation.com[/URL]
seabreese parachute

Fon said:
=========================================================================================================================================

WWW.parafoilaviation.com[/URL]
seabreese parachute[/QUOTE]

i can't open diz web.y?pliz help me

www.airfoilaviation[/URL]. com

1. What is a CanSat?

A CanSat is a miniature satellite that is designed to fit inside a soda can. It is typically created by students or hobbyists as a way to learn about space technology and conduct scientific experiments.

2. What is a parafoil?

A parafoil is a type of parachute that uses a specialized design to provide lift and control during descent. It is commonly used in skydiving and can also be utilized in the deployment of small satellites, such as CanSats.

3. How does a parafoil help in the design of a CanSat?

A parafoil is used in the design of a CanSat as a means of safely and accurately controlling the descent and landing of the CanSat. It provides stability, control, and a slow descent rate, which helps protect the delicate electronic components inside the CanSat.

4. What factors should be considered when designing a parafoil for a CanSat?

When designing a parafoil for a CanSat, factors such as weight, size, and shape of the CanSat, wind conditions, and desired descent rate should be taken into account. The parafoil design should also be able to withstand the forces of launch and deployment.

5. Are there any resources available for designing a parafoil for a CanSat?

Yes, there are various online resources and tutorials available for designing a parafoil for a CanSat. Some examples include open-source software for simulating parafoil designs, instructional videos on YouTube, and forums where experienced hobbyists and experts can provide guidance and advice.