How can I determine noise levels in orifice flow meters?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 7K views
DaiG
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
My employer has asked me to derive a method or equation for determining noise (in decibels) in orifice flow meters. I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions that could help me get on my way? I've been looking at basic principles of aerodynamic and hydrodynamic noise predicitions. As far as I'm aware there isn't a current standard in place for noise levels in orifice meters but several large companies have generated software packages to calculate noise levels in orifice meters which conform to IEC 534-8-3 and IEC 534-8-4 which details aerodynamic and hydrodynamic noise in throttling valves. My knowledge of Fluid flow is competent/advanced but my knowledge of acoustics is average at best. Anyone with any suggestion? Thanks.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Ask your employer to purchase, "ISA Handbook of Control Valves." Chapter 7 discusses control valve noise and has equations. You should be able to figure out how to apply them to an orifice.