How can I learn R for statistics software without prior knowledge?

In summary, the speaker is seeking recommendations for resources to learn how to use the R for statistics software. They have basic knowledge of stats theory and experience with other software packages. They are specifically looking for a "R for dummies" type of resource and have already checked the official R website. Suggestions include the introduction on the R website, a book called "R in a nutshell", and learning as you go by googling or asking on forums. Another suggestion is to use R Commander, a graphical interface for R that displays the corresponding code for each action.
TheRobster
Hi all,

I've been asked to learn how to use the R for statistics software at work. I know "basic" stats theory such as linear/multiple regression, t-tests, ANOVA etc, and have used other software packages such as Excel, SPSS, but never R. Can anyone recommend any good books/websites to get me started?

There appears to be quite a lot of resources of the official R website but having looked there it seems they assume a reasonable level of knowledge to start with. What I really need is an "R for dummies" type of resource. Can anyone suggest anything?

Cheers
-Rob

Physics news on Phys.org
if you have a good level of theoretical statistic, you can already begin with the introduction of viraltux

i would just learn a bit about the different data structures, and how to input data. whenever you want to do something specific, just google it or ask on a forum. R is pretty high level so most things are just one-liners. just learn it as you go.

In addition to books (online or otherwise), consider loading R Commander (Rcmdr). It's an R package which gives you a graphical interface to R, intended to give students an assist in learning R. When you select an action from R Commander's menu, it executes the action and also displays the R code for that purpose.

What is R and how is it used for statistics?

R is a free and open-source programming language and software environment for statistical computing and graphics. It is widely used by statisticians and data scientists for data analysis and visualization. R has a comprehensive set of tools for data manipulation, calculation, and graphical display, making it a powerful tool for statistical analysis.

Do I need programming experience to use R?

While having some programming experience can be helpful, it is not necessary to use R for statistical analysis. R has a user-friendly interface and many built-in functions that make it accessible to those without programming experience. However, some knowledge of programming concepts can improve your understanding and use of R.

What are the advantages of using R over other statistical software?

One of the main advantages of R is its flexibility and customization. R allows users to create their own functions and packages, making it a highly adaptable tool for different statistical analyses. Additionally, R has a large and active community, providing support and constantly updating and improving the software.

Can I create graphs and visualizations in R?

Yes, R has a wide range of built-in functions for creating graphs and visualizations. It also has the ability to create custom graphics through the use of libraries and packages. These visualizations can be used to communicate complex data in a clear and concise manner.

Is R suitable for large datasets?

Yes, R is capable of handling large datasets. It has the ability to import and manipulate data from various sources, including databases. R also has packages specifically designed for working with big data, making it a suitable choice for analyzing large datasets.