How can I determine the roots of (x)*(1/9)^(1/9)^x - 1 = y using DESMOS?

• B
  • Thread starter laplacianZero
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Function
In summary, the discussion revolved around finding the roots of the expression [(x)*(1/9)^(1/9)^x ] - 1 = y and various methods were suggested, including plotting, using the Newton Raphson method, and the Lambert W function. It was also noted that the DESMOS graphing calculator may have different interpretations of the exponents, leading to different results.
laplacianZero
[(x)*(1/9)^(1/9)^x ] - 1 = y

How do you find the roots?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
If you cannot find analytic solutions, things are easier. plot it, calculate approximations for the root, and you are done.

Besides plotting to find approximate root or using the Newton raphson method, are there any other ways?

laplacianZero said:
Besides plotting to find approximate root or using the Newton raphson method, are there any other ways?
Since x appears as both the base and as an exponent, the only non-graphical, non-numerical alternative is the Lambert W function. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lambert_W_function

The desmos graph calculator shows two zeros at ? and at ? where ## 0 < x < 10##

The ? are left to the student.

jedishrfu said:
The desmos graph calculator shows two zeros at ? and at ? where ## 0 < x < 10##

The ? are left to the student.
The expression does not have a second zero, at least not with the conventional interpretation of a^b^c as a^(b^c).

Yes, you're right. I can't reproduce what I typed into the Desmos calculator.

Last night it gave me a curve that looked something like the Lambert W curves and crossed at x=1.411 and x=9.

Something like this:

##y = \left(x\right)\cdot e^{-x}\ -\frac{1}{5}##

However, now when I plot it, I see only x=1.79.

##y = x\cdot \left(\frac{1}{\left(9\right)}\right)^{\left(\frac{1}{\left(9\right)}\right)^x}-1##

Last edited:
You get that if you interpret a^b^c as (a^b)^c = a^(b*c).

Likes jedishrfu
The DESMOS graphing calculator input editor is a little wonky. Its different in that while it completes parentheses when you type the closing parentheses it add another on instead saying okay got that.

To get around this behavior, you have to instead tab out of the closing parentheses to get where you want to be.

mfb said:
You get that if you interpret a^b^c as (a^b)^c = a^(b*c).
Yes, that may have what happened and I didn't notice. I should have saved the expression that was input then I didn't where I went wrong.

I do know earlier I had thought the x*(1/9) factors were x^(1/9) instead which produced yet a different result.

One nice thing about the DESMOS is that as you type in the expression and it looks correct you can copy and paste it here as its valid Latex.

Related to How can I determine the roots of (x)*(1/9)^(1/9)^x - 1 = y using DESMOS?

1. What is a transcendental function?

A transcendental function is a mathematical function that cannot be expressed in terms of a finite number of algebraic operations. These functions involve operations such as logarithms, exponentials, and trigonometric functions.

2. What is the purpose of transcendental functions?

Transcendental functions are used to solve complex equations and model natural phenomena. They are also used in various fields of science, such as physics, engineering, and economics.

3. How are transcendental functions different from algebraic functions?

Transcendental functions involve operations that go beyond basic algebraic functions, such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. Algebraic functions can be expressed using a finite number of these operations, while transcendental functions cannot.

4. What are some common examples of transcendental functions?

Some common examples of transcendental functions include the logarithmic function (log x), exponential function (e^x), and trigonometric functions such as sine (sin x) and cosine (cos x).

5. How are transcendental functions used in real-world applications?

Transcendental functions are used in various real-world applications, such as calculating compound interest in finance, modeling population growth in biology, and predicting the motion of objects in physics. They are also used in computer programming and data analysis to solve complex problems.