How Can I Determine the Weights of Fish A, C, and D in Mobile Equilibrium?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Isimanica
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Equilibrium Mobile
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 12K views
Isimanica
Messages
15
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


The mobile is in equilibrium. The fish B weighs
27 oz. Determine the weights of fish A, C and D.
(The weights of the crossbars are negligible).
1154484.jpg



Homework Equations


Moment = Force*Distance


The Attempt at a Solution


My idea here is to use the moments about each point, solve for one variable. Here is what I have com up with so far, am I on the right track?
D(14)=A(4) since their moments at that point are in equilibrium.
B(4)=12(A+D)
C(24)=6(A+B+D)
Am I wrong in setting it up this way?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
So then I just say that I set A=D(14)/4
Replace A in equation B(4)=12(D+ (D(14)/4))
Solve for D and then replace D and A values that I get into the equation for
C(24)=6(B+D+A) solve for C and that is it? Please tell me that it wasn't that simple?
 
Isimanica said:
Please tell me that it wasn't that simple?

As you wish.

It wasn't that simple :-p