How can I estimate the bending stress for a hollow tube under uniform load?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
parch
Messages
17
Reaction score
0
Dear All,

Please see the picture. I need to find the bending stress for that profile.

Its hollow tube dia= 38 mm, 4 mm thick. its is acted with udl of 500 N/m2 on its outer surface.
How can I estimate the bending stress, deformation. Assume it as mild steel with E = 200 Gpa, poission ratio = 0.3.

I am trying to validate this with FEA in 3d.
Kindly share your ideas. Thank you in advance.
 
Attachments
  • pipe.png
    pipe.png
    1.7 KB · Views: 585
Physics news on Phys.org
It's statically indeterminate so you can use a method for those types of problems. Maybe Castigliano's.

Or, you could get upper and lower bounds by treating the bends as rigid and pin-jointed. Then it's an easy simply supported beam problem.