How can I find n to make the sum of a sequence equal a specific number?

  • Thread starter Thread starter um0123
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Sequence
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
34 replies · 5K views
notice it is always an odd term, if N is the number of terms and S is the sum wth N terms:

N = 1,
S(N) = (√3- 1)/2

N = 2
S(N) = (√5- 1)/2

N = 3
S(N) = (√7- 1)/2
...
notice it is always includes squareroot of an odd term, any ideas how to write that in terms of N?

Once you have your general equation, solve it for N, when S(N) = 100


-----------------------------
I have to go now (good luck), but here's another more rigourous way to finish the problem:

to help see the pattern & summarise
[tex]S(N) = \sum_{n = 1}^{N} \frac{1}{\sqrt{2n - 1} + \sqrt{2n + 1}}[/tex]

after rationalising the denominator
[tex]S(N) = \sum_{n = 1}^{N} \frac{1}{2} (\sqrt{2n + 1} - \sqrt{2n - 1} )[/tex]

splitting the series & changing dummy to help with substitution:
[tex]S(N) = \frac{1}{2}( (\sum_{n = 1}^{N} \sqrt{2n + 1}) - (\sum_{m = 1}^{N}\sqrt{2m - 1}))[/tex]

now to go forward form here:
- substitute into the 2nd sum only, m = n +1
- the sum limits of the 2nd sum will now become n = 0 to n = N-1 (previously m =1 to N)

cancelling terms should lead to the same pattern you observe
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Kk, I've done some work, and I think I found a pattern to the sum.

[tex]\frac{\sqrt{2n+1}-1}{2}[/tex]
 
thanks lanedance, and phase shifter, and to everyone who helped.

together denny and i got the answer, and we couldn't ever do it without you guys.
 
Last edited:
Denyven said:
Kk, I've done some work, and I think I found a pattern to the sum.

[tex]\frac{\sqrt{2n+1}-1}{2}[/tex]

Right.
 
SWEET, thanks guys, I got the answer. All your help, from everyone, was very much appreciated.