Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How can I find sounds or pronunciations on the Internet

1. May 12, 2016 #1
    Hi. I would like to try to make a search for pronunciations and sounds, for example, of birds. How can I make a search for them. For example, I try to listen "chattering cry". I write it on the Google then look for videos but there was nothing. What would be the other options for this kinds of searches?

Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. May 12, 2016 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

4. May 12, 2016 #3

Buzz Bloom

Gold Member

5. May 12, 2016 #4

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

6. May 12, 2016 #5

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

7. May 12, 2016 #6
    For pronounciations of words, forvo.com is great.

8. Feb 27, 2018 #7
    Hi. Talking dictionary is confusing to me. Is it Cambridge's English dictionary. The link you gave directs me there. I can see a definition for it as
    quick, repeated noises that some animals make but I cannot see this sound there. Meanwhile I am looking for a grinding sound now.

Thank you.

9. Feb 27, 2018 #8

Evo

What do you mean you are looking for a grinding sound? What searches have you already done? We are not your personal search engine.

10. Feb 27, 2018 #9

russ_watters

And google can perform a successful search in significantly less than 21 months...

11. Feb 27, 2018 #10

Evo

LOL, or for mech-eng may well be his first google search and hit the jackpot!

12. Feb 27, 2018 #11

DennisN

Gold Member
    2017 Award

But there's a robot called Evo (youtube link). :biggrin:

13. Feb 27, 2018 #12

Tom.G

Science Advisor

I think we have the better of the Evos here.

14. Feb 28, 2018 #13
    I am searching for a grind sound in Google, but I asked about that Talking Dictionary.

Thank you.

15. Mar 2, 2018 #14
    I've seen a couple of English pronunciation talking dictionaries. Or you can download an app. Have you thought of that?
    Is that what you're looking for?
    Birds? I'm not sure.

16. Mar 2, 2018 #15
    Actually saying, I was looking for something to listen onomatopoeia such as grinding noise, bark, meow ...

Thank you.

17. Mar 3, 2018 #16
    Ok. Did you look for an app? (e.g. android playstore, or for iphone, or for desktop computer etc.)

18. Mar 3, 2018 #17
    No but I don't know the ways how I can look for an app for my windows 8.1 PC? I have been searching in the internet i.e websites.

Thank you.

19. Mar 3, 2018 #18
    8.1 is my favourite. Just go to the "Store" tile and do a search, putting the key words that you want. Next step: you find one and download it. However, if you have an android phone or tablet, look in the "Google Play Store" (or "Google Play"), as it is the "richest" apps store in the planet, as far as I know. Everything is there.
    (mostly free apps - same for the windows 8.1 microsoft store, etc.)

Last edited: Mar 3, 2018
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted