How can I find sounds or pronunciations on the Internet

  • Thread starter Thread starter mech-eng
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Internet
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
17 replies · 3K views
mech-eng
Messages
826
Reaction score
13
Hi. I would like to try to make a search for pronunciations and sounds, for example, of birds. How can I make a search for them. For example, I try to listen "chattering cry". I write it on the Google then look for videos but there was nothing. What would be the other options for this kinds of searches?

Thank you.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Did you try googling "bird sounds"? This is the first hit. http://www.enature.com/birding/audio.asp
 
For pronounciations of words, forvo.com is great.
 
Nidum said:
Talking Dictionary There are lots of other ones .

RSPB Bird Song Collection Birdsong is on the small audio bar and on a Video for most birds listed .

Hi. Talking dictionary is confusing to me. Is it Cambridge's English dictionary. The link you gave directs me there. I can see a definition for it as
quick, repeated noises that some animals make but I cannot see this sound there. Meanwhile I am looking for a grinding sound now.

Thank you.
 
mech-eng said:
Hi. Talking dictionary is confusing to me. Is it Cambridge's English dictionary. The link you gave directs me there. I can see a definition for it as
quick, repeated noises that some animals make but I cannot see this sound there. Meanwhile I am looking for a grinding sound now.

Thank you.
What do you mean you are looking for a grinding sound? What searches have you already done? We are not your personal search engine.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Tom.G and Asymptotic
Evo said:
We are not your personal search engine.
And google can perform a successful search in significantly less than 21 months...
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Vanadium 50, jtbell, DennisN and 2 others
russ_watters said:
And google can perform a successful search in significantly less than 21 months...
LOL, or for mech-eng may well be his first google search and hit the jackpot!
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: russ_watters
Evo said:
We are not your personal search engine.
But there's a robot called Evo (youtube link). :biggrin:
 
DennisN said:
But there's a robot called Evo (youtube link). :biggrin:
I think we have the better of the Evos here.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Stephenk53 and DennisN
Evo said:
What do you mean you are looking for a grinding sound? What searches have you already done? We are not your personal search engine.

I am searching for a grind sound in Google, but I asked about that Talking Dictionary.

Thank you.
 
mech-eng said:
Talking Dictionary
I've seen a couple of English pronunciation talking dictionaries. Or you can download an app. Have you thought of that?
Is that what you're looking for?
Birds? I'm not sure.
 
Stavros Kiri said:
I've seen a couple of English pronunciation talking dictionaries. Or you can download an app. Have you thought of that?
Is that what you're looking for?
Birds? I'm not sure.

Actually saying, I was looking for something to listen onomatopoeia such as grinding noise, bark, meow ...

Thank you.
 
mech-eng said:
Actually saying, I was looking for something to listen onomatopoeia such as grinding noise, bark, meow ...

Thank you.
Ok. Did you look for an app? (e.g. android playstore, or for iphone, or for desktop computer etc.)
 
Stavros Kiri said:
Ok. Did you look for an app? (e.g. android playstore, or for iphone, or for desktop computer etc.)

No but I don't know the ways how I can look for an app for my windows 8.1 PC? I have been searching in the internet i.e websites.

Thank you.
 
mech-eng said:
No but I don't know the ways how I can look for an app for my windows 8.1 PC? I have been searching in the internet i.e websites.

Thank you.
8.1 is my favourite. Just go to the "Store" tile and do a search, putting the key words that you want. Next step: you find one and download it. However, if you have an android phone or tablet, look in the "Google Play Store" (or "Google Play"), as it is the "richest" apps store in the planet, as far as I know. Everything is there.
(mostly free apps - same for the windows 8.1 microsoft store, etc.)
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: mech-eng