How can I find the area of a triangle with a given angle and two sides?

In summary, to find the area of a triangle with an angle of 70° between sides of 6 cm and 4 cm, we can use the sine function to find the length of the opposite side (CD). Then, using the formula A = 1/2 * ab * sin(C), we can calculate the area to be approximately 11.28 cm^2. The law of sines or law of cosines could also be used, but this is a topic for the next chapter.
xyz_1965
Find the area of a triangle with angle 70° in between sides 6 cm and 4 cm.

Solution:

From the SOH-CAH-TOA mnemonic, I want the ratio of the opposite side (CD) to the hypotenuse (AC). I should be using the *sine* function, not cosine. Yes?

SOH leads to sin = opp/hyp

sin(70°) = CD/4

CD = 4 sin(70°)

Here is the rest:

Area = 12 sin(70°)

≈ 12 * 0.9396

Answer:

≈ 11.28 cm^2

Yes?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I would use:

\(\displaystyle A=\frac{1}{2}ab\sin(C)\)

Using the given data:

\(\displaystyle A=\frac{1}{2}(6\text{ cm})(4\text{ cm})\sin(70^{\circ})\)

Looks good.

MarkFL said:
I would use:

\(\displaystyle A=\frac{1}{2}ab\sin(C)\)

Using the given data:

\(\displaystyle A=\frac{1}{2}(6\text{ cm})(4\text{ cm})\sin(70^{\circ})\)

Looks good.

I know the law of sines or law of cosines could be applied here. This is the next chapter in my studies.

What is the formula for finding the area of a triangle?

The formula for finding the area of a triangle is A = 1/2 * base * height, where A represents the area, base represents the length of the base of the triangle, and height represents the height of the triangle.

How do you determine the base and height of a triangle?

The base and height of a triangle can be determined by measuring the length of the sides of the triangle. The base is the longest side of the triangle, and the height is the perpendicular distance from the base to the opposite vertex.

Can you use the Pythagorean theorem to find the area of a triangle?

No, the Pythagorean theorem can only be used to find the length of the sides of a right triangle. It cannot be used to find the area of any triangle.

What units should be used when finding the area of a triangle?

The units used for finding the area of a triangle will depend on the units used for measuring the base and height of the triangle. For example, if the base and height are measured in inches, the area will be in square inches.

Can the area of a triangle be negative?

No, the area of a triangle cannot be negative. It represents the amount of space enclosed by the triangle, and therefore must always be a positive value.