How can I find the area of a triangle with a given angle and two sides?

  • Topic:
  • Thread starter Thread starter xyz_1965
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Area Triangle
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
xyz_1965
Messages
73
Reaction score
0
Find the area of a triangle with angle 70° in between sides 6 cm and 4 cm.

Solution:

From the SOH-CAH-TOA mnemonic, I want the ratio of the opposite side (CD) to the hypotenuse (AC). I should be using the *sine* function, not cosine. Yes?

SOH leads to sin = opp/hyp

sin(70°) = CD/4

CD = 4 sin(70°)

Here is the rest:

Area = 12 sin(70°)

≈ 12 * 0.9396

Answer:

≈ 11.28 cm^2

Yes?
 
Mathematics news on Phys.org
I would use:

$$A=\frac{1}{2}ab\sin(C)$$

Using the given data:

$$A=\frac{1}{2}(6\text{ cm})(4\text{ cm})\sin(70^{\circ})$$

Looks good.
 
MarkFL said:
I would use:

$$A=\frac{1}{2}ab\sin(C)$$

Using the given data:

$$A=\frac{1}{2}(6\text{ cm})(4\text{ cm})\sin(70^{\circ})$$

Looks good.

I know the law of sines or law of cosines could be applied here. This is the next chapter in my studies.