I only get any study done by doing questions. I can read notes until the end of time, but I usually don't get it at all until I try at questions. I study by taking a textbook home and doing every question from a certain topic, right until the very last one, by which time they have usually got to A grade by the end of the chapter. Do this as often as you can, I'm doing two or three hours on weekdays, which isn't really enough for A, as exams are only a month or so away for us. So I'm stepping it up soon. If you're in the UK, I take it you're just starting your year? Make sure you do homework exercises. They really, really help.
If you haven't got a big, question-heavy textbook, ask your teacher for practice tests, any other resources you can use etc. I had to do this for physics.