1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Schools Physics - Imperial College London vs Durham University

1. Apr 10, 2012 #1
    So I really need some advice on whether to pick Imperial or Durham as my firm because I'm torn between the two.

I really liked Durham and the collegiate system because it would probably be easier to make more friends this way. It also has a very good Physics department.

I always read though that Imperial is one of the best for science/engineering and is often compared with Oxford for Physics, and I'd generally be better off with regards to job prospects due to the city, contacts, etc. Although the downsides are the cost and the gender ratio (and the huge 'geekyness' too). There are also some complaints about the social life at Imperial but I'm not sure if I'd just be picking Durham for the social life.

Advice is appreciated :confused:

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 10, 2012 #2
    Hi,
    I think that depends on your research area, you must looking for appropriate advisor, because all your works will be with him/her.
    imperial College occupied a prestigious position in the academic level .
    you want first to looking for your best advisor and research group and after that you looking for you more comfortable place that you love.

4. Apr 10, 2012 #3
    Hi,
    I think that depends on your research area, you must looking for appropriate advisor, because all your works will be with him/her.
    imperial College occupied a prestigious position in the academic level .
    you want first to looking for your best advisor and research group and after that you looking for you more comfortable place that you love.

5. Apr 10, 2012 #4
    What sort of jobs are you looking at?

In terms of lifestyle, the two couldn't be more different - one is a pretty (fairly) old university in a university town, and the other is in one of the biggest cities in the world. Choosing what sort of lifestyle you want as a student should be the main driver behind your decision, as they are both very, very good for physics.

And lastly, you cannot complain Imperial being a sausage-fest when it's in London. You aren't limited to just students of Imperial, you know, when you're in London. Imperial also has a surprisingly high average sex partner count, too, so some people must be getting it on.

Whilst Imperial has a reputation for being quite nerdy, there are definitely still quite a lot of students who like to party there.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook