How can i get better at physics?

• Physics
  • Thread starter edgarpokemon
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the speaker studied very hard for their physics class but only received a B on their final grade. They are considering getting a minor in physics and are hoping to improve over the summer. They are also questioning their career choice of mechanical engineering. Another person suggests that the speaker should focus on problem-solving when studying and utilize additional resources available online.
edgarpokemon
I barely made a B on my final grade for physics 2325, even though I studied very hard for that class. I spend weeks and nights studying and I made Cs and Bs on my tests, and I made a 68 on my final :(. I have taken calc 3 and got an A but I have never taken a physics class and i am hoping to get better over the summer. But how do I get better at it!? I am thinking of getting a minor in physics, i ended up loving it, even though I feel like I failed! I am hoping in becoming an mechanical engineering, should I reconsider my career choice?

Physics news on Phys.org
edgarpokemon said:
I studied very hard for that class. I spend weeks and nights studying
How do you study for physics? Do you read the sections over and over, or do you spend most of your time solving the problems?

edgarpokemon said:
I barely made a B on my final grade for physics 2325, even though I studied very hard for that class. I spend weeks and nights studying and I made Cs and Bs on my tests, and I made a 68 on my final :(. I have taken calc 3 and got an A but I have never taken a physics class and i am hoping to get better over the summer. But how do I get better at it!? I am thinking of getting a minor in physics, i ended up loving it, even though I feel like I failed! I am hoping in becoming an mechanical engineering, should I reconsider my career choice?

I agree to Mondayman. You first have to reconsider the way of studying. I think that this is probably the main problem. It is absolutely necessary to study the text but you definitely need to put enough time and concentration on solving problems - particularly hard ones. There is plenty of books and material for this on the net, besides your textbook(s).

1. How much time do I need to invest to get better at physics?

The amount of time it takes to improve in physics varies from person to person. While some may pick up concepts quickly, others may take longer. It also depends on your current understanding of physics and the level of difficulty you are trying to achieve. It is recommended to consistently dedicate at least a few hours each week to studying and practicing physics to see improvement.

2. What is the most effective way to study physics?

The most effective way to study physics is by actively engaging with the material. This includes attending lectures, taking notes, practicing problems, and seeking help when needed. Additionally, using visual aids, such as diagrams and videos, can also aid in understanding complex concepts.

3. How can I overcome my fear of physics?

Physics can be a daunting subject, but the key to overcoming fear is to start with the basics and build a strong foundation. This can be achieved by starting with simpler problems and gradually moving on to more complex ones. It is also important to ask questions and seek help when needed. With practice and persistence, you can overcome your fear of physics.

4. Can I get better at physics without a strong math background?

While a strong math background can certainly be helpful in understanding physics, it is not a prerequisite. Physics is a subject that can be learned through practice and determination. If you are struggling with the math concepts in physics, it is recommended to seek extra help or review basic math principles before moving on to more advanced topics.

5. How can I apply what I've learned in physics to real-life situations?

Physics is all around us and understanding its principles can help explain and solve real-life problems. For example, knowing the principles of motion can help with understanding traffic patterns, and understanding electricity and magnetism can help with the design of electronic devices. By actively seeking connections between physics concepts and real-life situations, you can better understand and apply what you have learned.