How can I get my prototype made?

• Thread starter MrAndrew
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Prototype
MrAndrew
TL;DR Summary
How can i get my prototype made?
I need a prototype built, I have made a simple "3d printed prototype", and know that it works in the way that I intended it to. However, the final prototype needs to be CNC machined from aluminum. After some googling, I got some companies's name: Xometry, Protolabs, and RapidDirect which advertise CNC prototyping services. But I'm unsure how to proceed. I lack experience in CNC machining, and I only have a CAD design. I'm unsure if simply sending them the CAD file would suffice for getting the appropriate prototype, or if they would engage in a dialogue with me to refine the prototype. What should I ask them? Does anyone have experience with prototype fabrication and communication with these manufacturers?

Any help would be a MASSIVE help!

[Manufacturer list edited by a Mentor]

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Your best bet is to simply call/email the company and see what they can do for you. A few years ago I was looking into getting some things milled for a personal project that ended up falling through, but a local company that used CNC machines was happy to listen to me and give me a quote. They should be able to tell you what they can help you with, what format to send the information, how much it will cost, etc. I recommend finding a local company if you can, that way you can meet in person.

Likes Vanadium 50, DaveE, berkeman and 1 other person
We have used Protolabs a bunch when our machine shop is too busy to CNC a part (or if we want higher quality prints than we can achieve in house). You can register as a user, submit a step file and they will auto-quote it. If there are certain facets that are not machine-able, they will reach out to you to discuss.

"Refining" a part is a very broad statement, and I generally would not expect this of someone (but you can always ask) beyond feedback on manufacturability.

I would also worry about "refining". The way this works is you send them a STEP file (or whatever) and a check (or whatever) and a few days later you get a part delivered to your door. That's the transaction. If you need (re-)design work or additional engineering, you would hire an engineering outfit.