How can I increase the wavelength of light photons?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
dom489
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Summary:: need to increase the wavelength of light.

I am an intro physics student working on a project and need to increase the wavelength of photons. I only have visible light sources available but need to have an emission of a wavelength larger than 1mm. is there a way to shift wavelength.

[Mentor Note -- thread moved from the technical forums so no homework Template is shown]
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

What are your ideas so far? Have you read about Black Body Radiation...?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: sysprog
I guess running away from the source wouldn't count?
 
  • Haha
  • Love
Likes   Reactions: rude man, sysprog and berkeman
Microwave ovens run at 2.45 GHz. If the wavelength is suitable, stick your experiment in it. I would most certainly advise against cannibalizing one for safety reasons. For a shorter wavelength, this baby operates at 10.5 GHz, it is safe but pricey. Maybe you can borrow one from a local college or university that teaches microwave optics experiments in their intro physics labs.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: sysprog
If you're not source restricted, pretty much any RF source should work -- CB radio is about 27Mhz = 11m. If it's an exercise to get longer than IR from visible light, I think @berkeman is on the right track with the black body radiation.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: berkeman