How can I increase the wavelength of light photons?

In summary, the conversation discusses the need to increase the wavelength of light for a project, with limited resources of visible light sources. Options such as using microwave ovens or borrowing equipment from a university are suggested, as well as using black body radiation to achieve a longer wavelength.
dom489
Summary:: need to increase the wavelength of light.

I am an intro physics student working on a project and need to increase the wavelength of photons. I only have visible light sources available but need to have an emission of a wavelength larger than 1mm. is there a way to shift wavelength.

[Mentor Note -- thread moved from the technical forums so no homework Template is shown]

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

What are your ideas so far? Have you read about Black Body Radiation...?

Likes sysprog
I guess running away from the source wouldn't count?

• Haha
  • Love
Likes rude man, sysprog and berkeman
Microwave ovens run at 2.45 GHz. If the wavelength is suitable, stick your experiment in it. I would most certainly advise against cannibalizing one for safety reasons. For a shorter wavelength, this baby operates at 10.5 GHz, it is safe but pricey. Maybe you can borrow one from a local college or university that teaches microwave optics experiments in their intro physics labs.

Likes sysprog
If you're not source restricted, pretty much any RF source should work -- CB radio is about 27Mhz = 11m. If it's an exercise to get longer than IR from visible light, I think @berkeman is on the right track with the black body radiation.

Likes berkeman

What is the relationship between wavelength and frequency?

Wavelength and frequency are inversely proportional to each other. This means that as the wavelength increases, the frequency decreases and vice versa.

Can the wavelength of light be increased?

Yes, the wavelength of light can be increased. This can be achieved by passing the light through a medium with a higher refractive index, such as a prism or a diffraction grating.

How does the medium affect the wavelength of light?

The wavelength of light is affected by the refractive index of the medium it passes through. A higher refractive index will cause the light to slow down and bend, resulting in an increase in wavelength.

What is the relationship between energy and wavelength?

The energy of a photon is directly proportional to its frequency, which is inversely proportional to its wavelength. This means that as the wavelength increases, the energy of the photon decreases.

What are some real-life applications of increasing the wavelength of light photons?

Increasing the wavelength of light can be used in various technologies such as optical communication, laser cutting, and medical imaging. It can also be used to manipulate the properties of materials, such as in photovoltaic cells for solar energy generation.