How Can I Independently Conduct and Publish Research in Theoretical Physics?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
rahaverhma
Messages
73
Reaction score
1
Hi everyone ,
I have done Bachelor's in Physics from Delhi University , India . I discontinued Master's from Indian Institute of Technology more-than-1 year before completion , it was 2 year course. I want to do research in Physics independently and publish ground-breaking papers. I am asking this because I saw a video on YouTube emphasizing on " Research experience " as a very important factor out of many , for a good Resume , for admission in foreign universities. So , what things would I have to do from studying to publishing , please guide me step by step if I am doing this alone. I am interested in Theoretical Physics , specifically in Quantum Theory , Cosmology , String theory , High energy Physics , Beyond the Standard Model , Electromagnetic theory , Classical Dynamics etc.

Also, tell me if you know about any online research groups or community where I can be a part of that and be guided by them.
I would ask my other questions later if it comes to my mind .

Thank you ,
Happy Research ,
Raja.
 
  • Skeptical
Likes   Reactions: PeroK
Physics news on Phys.org
If you want to publish "ground breaking papers" you should finish your education.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: PhDeezNutz and PeroK
It sounds to me like your more immediate short term goal is to gain admission to a foreign university, and somehow you've become convinced that the way to make this happen is to independently publish some kind of ground-breaking paper.

I think the first thing to recognize is that it typically works the other way around. And so much so that this (independently publishing first, admission second) is unlikely to be an effective plan, even for an above average student.

One open question is why were you unable to complete your master's degree? And why, if another university were to admit you, is there a good chance that you'll be successful and won't have to discontinue their program when you're faced with another big challenge?

Once you have an answer for this, you'll have to identify a number of programs to apply to. And then take a serious look at your grades and curriculum vitae and figure out how competitive you'll be as is. If you're not currently competitive as you are, you'll need to figure out how to make yourself more competitive.

Generating a publication can help, sure. But you really need a mentor to help you with this. Some people can get this mentorship by volunteering in a lab or getting employment as a temporary research assistant. So you could look into something like that.

Walk first. Then run. Then fly. But try to avoid running around in a field flapping your arms.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: symbolipoint, PhDeezNutz, russ_watters and 1 other person