How can I remove copper windings on an armature by soaking it in acetone?

  • Topic: Chemical/Paint 
  • Thread starter Thread starter John1397
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
John1397
Messages
189
Reaction score
18
TL;DR
Soak armature to free up windings
What is best way to free up copper windings on armature like maybe soak in acetone?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I had a summer job once in an electric motor rebuild shop. They baked out the windings in an oven. I don't know the oven temperature, but it would have been hotter than a typical kitchen oven. And it had a means of dealing with the smoke from the burned insulation.

Maybe use the self cleaning cycle of a self cleaning kitchen oven? Do it outside because of the smoke.
 
Armatures are often wound with a two layer insulation. The outer layer is a thermal-set epoxy or lacquer. There will be a temperature at which the glue is pyrolysed. That is usually between 150° C and 250° C.

You will probably need to remove the commutator before heating.