Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How can i stop talking to myself while studying?

Tags:
  1. Mar 8, 2015 #1
    For some reason every time i try to solve some exercises i keep saying them out loud.
    I can`t stand my voice anymore please help! x)
    Anyone else has this damn problem?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 9, 2015 #2

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

You could treat this as an opportunity. Record yourself with one of those small, handy electronic voice recorders. Critique your ennunciation. Try to improve it. Being aware of faults in your speech may make you self-conscious about speaking and thus urge you to silence. If your speech becomes excellent it may lead to a career in acting or doing voice-overs. "If you lose, you win If you win, you win."

4. Mar 9, 2015 #3

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Out perform whoever brought it to your attention, and you'll find that individual starts asking you for tips on how to emphasize critical points by stating them out loud.

5. Mar 9, 2015 #4
    I'm sure you'll find someone to help you in a library.

6. Mar 10, 2015 #5

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Don't stop. Saying things out loud might help you memorize!

7. Mar 10, 2015 #6
    Why ? I advise him to use a correct recorder to listen to his voice a thousand times.
    Your nickname describes correctly my personality. I like calculus III I took this spring.

8. Mar 10, 2015 #7
    I noticed that I do this when I'm alone. Personally, I find it helps me think through a problem logically much easier.

9. Mar 11, 2015 #8
    I have the same problem, except mine is worse. I find it hard to not talk to myself while taking a test, particularly during anything relating to math.

10. Mar 11, 2015 #9

Evo

Staff: Mentor

To confirm what micromass said, verbalizing out loud is known to be a good way to increase learning.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/6473044

Some people are more audio learners, some more visual, just as drawing out a problem to visualize helps some people, saying it out loud helps others. So, if saying it out loud helps, don't stop. :smile:

11. Mar 12, 2015 #10
    I do this when I reading through a concept I don't straight away understand, I read it aloud, whether it be mathematical or literary.
    It helps me understand what it is I'm reading, I consider it a learning technique, so it doesn't bother me.

12. Mar 12, 2015 #11
    It is your way of being. Also I heard that when you repeat something, you memorize it better)

13. Mar 12, 2015 #12

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Put a duct tape over your mouth.

Zz.

14. Mar 12, 2015 #13

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Perhaps if your mouth was busy doing something else, you would study quietly. Have you tried chewing gum while studying?

15. Mar 12, 2015 #14
    I always talk to myself when I study and to the walls and to the table, I'm special, I know ^^

It gets very exciting when I have a difficult problem - I, not only, talk to myself, I begin to argue, there are a few temporary parties formed and a heated battle will take place :D

16. Mar 13, 2015 #15
    :DD

17. Mar 18, 2015 #16
    yea that voice in your head, it's called thought!
    I use to do this so my g/f would stop shushing me =/

It did a lot of good actually since I've heard gum is really good for your jawline and obviously breath!

18. Mar 20, 2015 #17
    I think it's healthy to talk to yourself, helps your brain remember something :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook