How can i stop talking to myself while studying?

In summary: I always talk to myself when I study and to the walls and to the table, I'm special, I know ^^It gets very exciting when I have a difficult problem - I, not only, talk to myself, I begin to argue, there are a few temporary parties formed and a heated battle will take place :DD:DD:D
Patolord
For some reason every time i try to solve some exercises i keep saying them out loud.
I can`t stand my voice anymore please help! x)
Anyone else has this damn problem?

Likes Suraj M
Physics news on Phys.org
You could treat this as an opportunity. Record yourself with one of those small, handy electronic voice recorders. Critique your ennunciation. Try to improve it. Being aware of faults in your speech may make you self-conscious about speaking and thus urge you to silence. If your speech becomes excellent it may lead to a career in acting or doing voice-overs. "If you lose, you win If you win, you win."

Likes TheNerdConstant and CalcNerd
Patolord said:
Out perform whoever brought it to your attention, and you'll find that individual starts asking you for tips on how to emphasize critical points by stating them out loud.

I'm sure you'll find someone to help you in a library.

Likes CalcNerd
Patolord said:
For some reason every time i try to solve some exercises i keep saying them out loud.

Don't stop. Saying things out loud might help you memorize!

Likes Ryan_m_b
micromass said:
Don't stop. Saying things out loud might help you memorize!
Why ? I advise him to use a correct recorder to listen to his voice a thousand times.
Your nickname describes correctly my personality. I like calculus III I took this spring.

I noticed that I do this when I'm alone. Personally, I find it helps me think through a problem logically much easier.

Likes CalcNerd
I have the same problem, except mine is worse. I find it hard to not talk to myself while taking a test, particularly during anything relating to math.

To confirm what micromass said, verbalizing out loud is known to be a good way to increase learning.

The problem-solving ability of 18 learning-disabled high school students was increased by instructions to verbalize overtly

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/6473044

Some people are more audio learners, some more visual, just as drawing out a problem to visualize helps some people, saying it out loud helps others. So, if saying it out loud helps, don't stop. :smile:

I do this when I reading through a concept I don't straight away understand, I read it aloud, whether it be mathematical or literary.
It helps me understand what it is I'm reading, I consider it a learning technique, so it doesn't bother me.

Patolord said:
It is your way of being. Also I heard that when you repeat something, you memorize it better)

Patolord said:

Put a duct tape over your mouth.

Zz.

Likes lisab and Lisa!
Perhaps if your mouth was busy doing something else, you would study quietly. Have you tried chewing gum while studying?

I always talk to myself when I study and to the walls and to the table, I'm special, I know ^^

It gets very exciting when I have a difficult problem - I, not only, talk to myself, I begin to argue, there are a few temporary parties formed and a heated battle will take place :D

Likes Silicon Waffle
nuuskur said:
I always talk to myself when I study and to the walls and to the table, I'm special, I know ^^

It gets very exciting when I have a difficult problem - I, not only, talk to myself, I begin to argue, there are a few temporary parties formed and a heated battle will take place :D
:DD

yea that voice in your head, it's called thought!
lisab said:
Perhaps if your mouth was busy doing something else, you would study quietly. Have you tried chewing gum while studying?
I use to do this so my g/f would stop shushing me =/

It did a lot of good actually since I've heard gum is really good for your jawline and obviously breath!

I think it's healthy to talk to yourself, helps your brain remember something :)

1. How does talking to myself while studying affect my learning?

Talking to yourself while studying can be distracting and can make it difficult to focus on the material. It can also interfere with your ability to retain and comprehend the information.

2. Why do I talk to myself while studying?

Talking to oneself while studying is a common habit that some people develop as a way to stay focused or to help organize their thoughts. It can also be a way to reinforce information and remember important points.

3. Is talking to myself while studying a sign of a mental health issue?

No, talking to oneself while studying is a common and normal behavior. However, if you find yourself talking to yourself excessively or in a way that is disruptive to your studying, it may be worth talking to a mental health professional.

4. How can I stop talking to myself while studying?

One way to stop talking to yourself while studying is to identify triggers that cause you to talk to yourself, such as feeling anxious or bored. Once you have identified these triggers, you can come up with strategies to address them, such as taking breaks or using study aids like flashcards.

5. Are there any benefits to talking to myself while studying?

Talking to oneself while studying can have some benefits, such as helping to reinforce information and improve memory. However, it is important to find a balance and not let it become too distracting or disruptive to your studying process.