How Can Ivan Achieve a Total Score of 5 with Three Dice?

  • Thread starter Thread starter jinx007
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Dice Probability
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
jinx007
Messages
60
Reaction score
0
Ivan throws three fair dice.

(i) List all the possible scores on the three dice which give a total score of 5, and hence show that
the probability of Ivan obtaining a total score of 5 is 1/36


MY PROBLEM HERE IS THAT I CANNOT LIST THE PROBABILITY OF POSSIBLE SCORE FOR THREE DICE, IN FACT FOR THE TWO DICE I KNOW THAT I HAVE TO CONTRUCT A TABLE BUT FOR THE 3 DICE I AM STUCK




HELPPPP THANKS IN ADVANCE
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Start by making a table with three columns

Die 1 Die 2 Die 3

then fill in the rows with all the ways to have the sides occur so that the sum is 5. You'll also need to calculate the total number of outcomes (number of ways three dice can come up: the number for 2 dice is 36 - you need the corresponding number for three dice)