Probability of Getting a Total of 15 or Higher in Three Dice Throws

P(A) is the probability to get at least ten with the first two dice, and P(A|B) is the probability to get at least 15 given that the first two dice have a total of at least 10. So P(A&B) is not the same as P(A|B).In summary, the probability of getting a total of 10 or higher when two identical dice are thrown is 1/6. However, the probability of getting a total of 15 or higher when a third die is thrown after obtaining a total of at least 10 with the first two dice is 2/27. This is because the probability of getting a total of 15 or higher is not the same as the probability of
Seneka

Homework Statement

If two identical dice are thrown, what is the probability that the total of the numbers is 10 or higher? [Hint: list the combinations that can give a total of 10 or higher.] [2]

Two dice have been thrown, giving a total of at least 10. What is the probability that the throw of a third die will bring the total of the three numbers shown to 15 or higher? [3]

2. Homework Equations ... Actual Answer

Part 1) 1/6
Part 2)
10: 5,6
11: 4,5,6
12: 3,4,5,6

(3/6 x 2/6) + (2/6 x 3/6) + (1/6 x 4/6) = 4/9

The Attempt at a Solution

So I obtained the solution to the first part by drawing a probability space diagram. Giving 1/6

For the second part I thought:
If I get a total of 10 for the first two throws I will need a 5 or 6 to give at least 15
11: 4,5,6
12: 3,4,5,6P(t=10) = 3/36
P(t=11)= 2/36
P(t=12) = 1/36

2(3/36 x 1/6) + 3(2/36 x 1/6) + 4(1/36 + 1/6) = 2/27

Why am I wrong in assuming that the probability of getting a total of 10 in the first two throughs is the probability represented by the probability space diagram so 3 out of 36. What is wrong with my working?

Physics news on Phys.org
You are computing the probability to get at least ten with the first two dice and then a total of at least 15. This is not the same thing as computing the conditional probability to get at least 15 given that the first two dice have a total of at least 10.

Edit: Consider P(A&B) = P(A|B)P(B).

Likes Seneka

What is the probability of getting a total of 15 or higher in three dice throws?

The probability of getting a total of 15 or higher in three dice throws is 10.19%. This can be calculated by dividing the number of possible outcomes that result in a total of 15 or higher (21) by the total number of possible outcomes for three dice throws (216).

How many ways can you get a total of 15 or higher in three dice throws?

There are 21 possible outcomes that result in a total of 15 or higher in three dice throws. This includes combinations such as 6+6+3, 5+6+4, and 6+6+6.

What is the probability of getting a total of 15 in exactly two dice throws?

The probability of getting a total of 15 in exactly two dice throws is 2.78%. This can be calculated by dividing the number of possible outcomes that result in a total of 15 in two dice throws (6) by the total number of possible outcomes for two dice throws (216).

What is the probability of getting a total of 15 or higher in four dice throws?

The probability of getting a total of 15 or higher in four dice throws is 27.78%. This can be calculated by dividing the number of possible outcomes that result in a total of 15 or higher (126) by the total number of possible outcomes for four dice throws (1296).

What is the most likely outcome when throwing three dice for a total of 15 or higher?

The most likely outcome when throwing three dice for a total of 15 or higher is a total of 15. This is because there are six possible combinations that result in a total of 15 (6+6+3, 5+6+4, 6+5+4, 6+6+3, 6+5+4, and 6+6+3), while all other totals have fewer possible combinations.