Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How can my blog posts become visible?

1. Apr 6, 2012 #1
    I just posted my first entry to my PhysicsForums blog. But it looks like it's not visible to others, because it needs "approval". How do I get my post approved?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You in Advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 6, 2012 #2
    I'll look at them now

4. Apr 6, 2012 #3
    Thanks Greg! For future reference, do I need to get each blog post I make approved?

And I encourage everyone to read my blog post here, if you want to learn about Bell's theorem.

5. Apr 6, 2012 #4
    A few years back we had trouble with blog spam and the only option left was to moderate all entries. I'll try to do a better job of accepting them. thanks!

6. Apr 6, 2012 #5
    I'm curious, what distinguishes blog posts and other forum posts from a moderation point of view? Is it that the blogs are less trafficked, so spam would naturally go undetected for longer?

7. Apr 6, 2012 #6

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Doesn't look like any difference.

Rules

8. Apr 6, 2012 #7

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Spam is usually caught right away.

Blogs are mainly for posting thoughts that aren't really meant for discussion in the forum. It can be about what's happening in your life. It can be items you are interested in. It's your personal journal.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2012
  9. Apr 6, 2012 #8

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

So why is it necessary for blog entries to go through admin approval when regular posts don't? I have no idea how often blog entries are posted by the membership of the forums, but seems like a lot for work for admins to have to manually approve each one of them.

10. Apr 6, 2012 #9

Evo

It happens to new blog users.

11. Apr 6, 2012 #10
    Obviously the rules still apply. I was wondering why it's necessary to treat blog posts differently moderation-wise.

12. Apr 6, 2012 #11

Evo

We don't, Forum posts for new posters quite often go into moderation.

13. Apr 6, 2012 #12

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Forum software is such that it's more cumbersome to moderate the blogs. We do notice the spam eventually and delete it -- if it's immediately visible then more spammers are attracted to post there.

It was a lot of work to delete spam posted in the blogs every few minutes, which happened back a couple of years ago when some spammers took advantage of this loophole of easily posting spam in blogs of vBulletin-based forums. If a spammer has spammed many other vBulletin forums, they are prevented from making a regular post but not prevented from blogging.

Another advantage is that members who like to check out the blogs don't have to sift through the spam, or posting of homework and other questions that really should get asked by a regular forum post.

14. Apr 7, 2012 #13

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Thanks for the response Red. Mostly, I was checking that a potentially cumbersome and inefficient approval method wasn't being used for possibly archaic reasons.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook