alle.fabbri said:
Why do you pick such a contour? This machinery could work even if I pick a circle of radius R and then let [tex]R \rightarrow \infty[/tex]??...
I picked that contour because that is the "standard" contour that I was taught for this. Why does it make sense? First, [tex]N+1/2[/tex] is used so that no singularities are on the contour. Second, it isn't too bad so find a constant [tex]C[/tex] (independent of [tex]N[/tex]) such that
[tex]\sup |\cot \pi z| \leq C[/tex]
for [tex]z[/tex] on the countour. Proving that a circular contour goes to zero in the limit is probably more work than for the square contour.
Since I studied my complex analysis exam on the notes given by my professor, I never looked for such books...can you address me giving some authors that you think are the best for this topic?
Thanks again...
There are so many reasonable books on complex analysis, and everyone likes different styles. For the summation "trick" specifically, almost all books have it, but I don't recall any books having more than one or two pages on this. Some books relegate it to the exercises. So don't buy a book just for this trick, only buy a book if you want a reference or a fun read. Note that for alternating series, you can use the cosecant instead of the cotangent.
Regarding specific books, I always go to "introduction to complex analysis" by Priestley first. Not because it is so good (it is fine but nothing special), but because it was the main textbook when I took the class so after 100+ hours with it I can easily pick it up and understand it. Fisher's Complex Variable book (cheap Dover) is quite good, but is not the best for multiple valued functions. Dettman's cheap "applied complex variables" is pretty complete, but fairly dry. My favorite intro books are probably Saff and Snyder (sp?) and the book by Ablowitz and Fokas. Used copies of old editions is the way I always go whenever possible, as it can save a bundle of money. Schaum's outline is okay, too.
good luck