How Can We Revive Enthusiasm in a High School Math Club?

  • Level: High School 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Imparcticle
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
33 replies · 6K views
JasonRox said:
I have to agree with Franz with one of this comments.

I have yet to meet a Mathematics major that genuinely loves and understand mathematics. I'm still trying to understand what they are doing in the program.


You're not going to melt for agreeing with me are you ? :-p
 
Mathematics news on Phys.org
franznietzsche said:
You're not going to melt for agreeing with me are you ? :-p

Never.

Our school use to teach through Spivak in first year... now they don't.

Things are so boring, and I have no motivation to do anything.

I do my own thing, like I mentionned in my post, but that's it. Yes, I would to do some Spivak this summer, but it's not that fun on my own. It's more of a conversational text.
 
JasonRox said:
I do my own thing, like I mentionned in my post, but that's it. Yes, I would to do some Spivak this summer, but it's not that fun on my own. It's more of a conversational text.

Why not go through it in the Calc&Analysis forum the way Tom is going through Differential Forms in the Tensor Analysis forum ? Although it's not free, it's a book all serious Calc students should be exposed to, and there are many mature mathematicians on this site that would probably love to aid conceptual and theoretical questions and maybe other approaches to problems or add modern commentary.