How can you deepen your understanding of the brachistochrone problem?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
janonus
Messages
3
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Hi I'm in second year of study in Math, Physic and Informatic and I require some help.
I began a work on the brachistochrone problem. It's really interesting and I already found lot of things (the equation of the cycloid by the Bernoulli's method, I wrote some programs which draw the curve between two point,... )
But after this first researchs and results I don't know how to continue... Could you help me, give me some indication to go further ?


2. Homework Equations

Parametric equation of the cycloid

The Attempt at a Solution


Further in math : curves generate by other geometric figures ?
Further in physics : friction actions ? Speed font ion of the time ?
Further in Informatic : No idea...

Thank's for your help :)

PS : excuse me for my English... I'm French and I'm still learning !
 
Physics news on Phys.org
janonus said:

Homework Statement



Hi I'm in second year of study in Math, Physic and Informatic and I require some help.
I began a work on the brachistochrone problem. It's really interesting and I already found lot of things (the equation of the cycloid by the Bernoulli's method, I wrote some programs which draw the curve between two point,... )
But after this first researchs and results I don't know how to continue... Could you help me, give me some indication to go further ?


2. Homework Equations

Parametric equation of the cycloid

The Attempt at a Solution


Further in math : curves generate by other geometric figures ?
Further in physics : friction actions ? Speed font ion of the time ?
Further in Informatic : No idea...

Thank's for your help :)

PS : excuse me for my English... I'm French and I'm still learning !
My old Housner & Hudson, Applied Mechanics - Dynamics covers the subject. You might also want to read my Insight blog Brachistochrone Subway! and attendant comments in this forum.