How Can You Determine the Kinematics of Rigid Body BD in a Rotating System?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
chart2006
Messages
11
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


"Knowing that crank AB has a constant angular velocity of 160rpm counterclockwise, determine and plot, for values of [tex]\theta[/tex] from 0 to 360 degrees, (a) the angular velocity and angular acceleration of rod BD, (b) the velocity and acceleration of collar D.
http://www.mypicx.com/uploadimg/557399749_04082009_1.jpg

Homework Equations



I don't know! :(


The Attempt at a Solution



[tex]\lamda =160rpm=160(\frac{2\pi}{60})rad/s[/tex]

Unfortunately this is as far as I've been able to get. The reason is because I'm not sure as how to derive an equation that would allow me to plug in a value from 0 to 360 for theta and it give me beta (angle of bar BD from the horizontal). If I can just get past that point I can figure the rest out. With any other problem there is a fixed position in which I can just use the triangle method to figure it out but i can't really do that here.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
hi chart 2006

you know then length AB & BD and the also the vertical component of AD

the vertical component of AB is AB.Sin(theta) from this you should be able to find the vertical component of BD, ie BD.Sin(beta)...