How can you discover new things in Astronomy without a PhD ?

In summary, Robin Andersson explains that people can discovery new things in Astronomy by doing things like finding new asteroids, variable stars, supernovae, and exoplanets. Citizen programs such as the Galaxy Zoo consortium can be helpful as well.
nukeman
Title is a little strange I know, let me explain better. I am doing my undergrad by the way.

How can people, who for example are not in school for Physics/Astronomy, or don't have access to expensive telescopes, discover new things in Astronomy?

For example, a while back a nine year old girl discovered a new supernova, or something.

What can people do to possible discover new things in Astronomy?

Thanks!

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Define "expensive"; a lot of amateur, backyard astronomers have discovered asteroids, comets, supernova, and exoplanets.

Last edited by a moderator:
nukeman said:
For example, a while back a nine year old girl discovered a new supernova, or something.

That girl discovered the supernova WITH a telescope. It's pretty hard to discover a supernova without a telescope, because a supernova that would be able to be seen without a telescope will not only be detected by you but also by others since it's "able-for-the-eyes".

So the only way the discover things would actually, at least of what I think, be with a telescope or a camera. By that you can discover outbursts of different types of dwarf novae, supernovae in other galaxies, just like the supernova that is going on in this writing moment in NGC 3972 (with a current magnitude around +14.0 which is VERY FAINT for the human eye and it requires big telescopes for about 10 inches or long exposures with a camera mounted on a scope to be seen).

But let's put these into categories. Things that you can discover is (there is more I'm sure):

* New Variable Stars
* Outbursts of different types of novae
* New asteroids
* Wrong amplitudes of variable stars that has been less observed
* Wrong periods of variable stars that has been less observed

Well, the best things I can come up with right now. I hope it helped.

Regards, Robin Andersson.

There are 'citizen programs' such as the Galaxy Zoo consortium...

http://www.zooniverse.org/

You don't even need dark skies !

Nik_2213 said:
You don't even need dark skies !

Indeed, among the world's most active variable star observers lives in Birmingham and he has done over 300 000 observations from a very light polluted sky.

RobinSky said:
* New Variable Stars
* Outbursts of different types of novae
* New asteroids
* Wrong amplitudes of variable stars that has been less observed
* Wrong periods of variable stars that has been less observed

I think that's a pretty good list of discoveries, but if you want to contribute data that professional observatories simply don't have the time to capture, there are also a lot of options:

*Photometry of variable stars (see AAVSO)
*Astrometry on known but newly-discovered asteroids, to refine orbits
*Timing of lunar or asteroid occultations, to precisely measure the Moon's geography or the asteroid's orbit
*Meteor shower reports

ideasrule said:
I think that's a pretty good list of discoveries, but if you want to contribute data that professional observatories simply don't have the time to capture...
If you do have a lot of time on your hands and a good location, you might be able to serve as a real-time monitor for NASA and the scientific community in general. Chris Go lives on a mountain in Manilla and has a partnership with NASA where he helps them out by feeding them Jupiter photos something like a hundred days a year: http://jupiter.cstoneind.com/

He's got a pretty expensive mount and camera now, but his telescope is mid-level (a C-11, like me) and for a while he was using a mid-level camera (a DMK, like me). He's probably been published hundreds of times - whenever you see a Jupiter pic in the media, look at the citation. Odds are decent that it's one of his.

1. How do you conduct research in Astronomy without a PhD?

In order to conduct research in Astronomy without a PhD, it is important to have a strong foundation in the subject through self-study or formal education. You can also collaborate with other researchers or join amateur astronomy groups to gain access to resources and equipment. Additionally, there are many online resources and databases available for non-PhD researchers.

2. Can you make significant discoveries in Astronomy without a PhD?

While a PhD can provide a deeper understanding and specialized knowledge in a specific area of Astronomy, it is not a requirement for making significant discoveries. Many amateur astronomers and citizen scientists have made important contributions to the field of Astronomy through their observations and research.

3. How do you stay updated with the latest advancements in Astronomy without a PhD?

There are various ways to stay updated with the latest advancements in Astronomy without a PhD. You can attend conferences, workshops, and lectures by professionals in the field. Additionally, following reputable sources and publications, such as scientific journals and news outlets, can also provide valuable information.

4. Are there any limitations to what you can discover in Astronomy without a PhD?

While a PhD can provide a deeper understanding and specialized knowledge in a specific area of Astronomy, there are no limitations to what you can discover in the field without a PhD. With dedication, passion, and access to resources, anyone can make valuable contributions to the field of Astronomy.

5. How can you access telescopes and other equipment for Astronomy research without a PhD?

There are various ways to access telescopes and other equipment for Astronomy research without a PhD. You can join an amateur astronomy group or collaborate with other researchers who have access to equipment. Additionally, there are online platforms that offer access to telescopes and data for non-PhD researchers. You can also consider building your own equipment or using affordable alternatives, such as binoculars or a smartphone camera, for observations.